Forming Visual Images & The Self-Reference Effect

According to our textbook a visual imagery is the creation of visual images in the mind in the absence of a physical stimulus. (Goldstein). This topic interests me because when I really sit down and think about it, I participate in visual imagery all day long.
Most of us have a forty-hour a week job and most of us probably daydream about our most relaxing activity. Even though I live in Los Angeles, California, I generally dream about being in my bathing suit all-day and swimming in the ocean. While I am at work, I have visual images of the sand between my toes and abnormal tan lines because I applied my sunscreen on the wrong way, again.

Gordon Bower and David Winzenz tested if using visual imagery would connect words visually and create connections that enhance memory (Goldstein). Also, I would include T.B. Rogers and coworkers approach .If I was to take my images and link them with words, these are the words that I would use.

My image would be of an extremely tall palm tree on a white sandy beach. The physical characteristic and the word that I would associate with myself would be calm. Just thinking about the image of white sand makes my blood pressure lower. A rhyming word to incorporate would be palm. When thinking of a word that has meaning I would choose relaxed and for a self-referencing word I choose happy.

The visual images and the words that we relate them to, typically go hand in hand. One will generally relate to the other (my visual images & words). If I had to recall this image for a test or again for some reason I feel that I would be able to remember all of the information because it relates to me and has meaning.