The Freshman Year Bucket List

We all have them – whether it’s your high school bucket list, senior year bucket list or summertime bucket list, keeping track of all the things you want to accomplish before a certain milestone in your life is a great way to ensure you are making the most out of your experiences. I’m sure you’ve all been told that college may very well be some of the best years of your life, so you don’t want to miss out on anything. But with so much to do and only four years to do it, where do you possibly begin? Well, that’s where the bucket list comes in. Below I have shared the bucket list my friends and I created our first year here at Penn State along with a few things I decided to include myself. Sadly, we weren’t able to complete them all our freshman year, but the best part about being a freshman is that you have four whole years to make sure nothing is left undone. That being said, the sooner you start, the more time you’ll have to create the ultimate Penn State experience while you’re here. With a little bit of dedication, you’ll be able to graduate knowing you made your mark on this university. So here it is boys and girls, ten things you must do before the end of your freshman year (or, at least, before you graduate).

creamery

1. Visit the Berkey Creamery – No one should have trouble crossing this one off their list. In fact, I’m sure many of you have already paid a visit. Even so, as a student, there’s nothing like grabbing a cone of Peachy Paterno on your way home from class. So grab your friends on that first sunny day on campus and head over to one of the most popular spots at Penn State. Remember, eating the ice cream they provide in the dining halls doesn’t count – it’s just not quite the same.

Screen Shot 2014-04-22 at 6.36.07 PM

2.Meet Mike the Mailman – I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again – as a student of Penn State, you have to meet Mike the Mailman. When a guy works at a post office and becomes so famous that he’s interviewed by CBS News, you know there’s got to be something special about him. Whether you have a letter to mail or not, he loves talking to new students and will brighten anyone’s day.

1

3. Take a picture by the lion shrine – Being one of the most photographed spots in central PA, I’m sure this is another one many of you have already checked off your list. However, taking one as a student during your freshman year is an absolute must. There are many students who take one every year, but your first year is most important because when the time comes to pay your last visit to the shrine as a senior, I guarantee you’re going to want something to look back on.

Screen Shot 2014-04-22 at 6.36.27 PM

4. Have a Waffle Shop breakfast – Seems pretty easy, right? Don’t be so sure. No matter what weekend it may be, the Waffle Shop almost always has a line out the door by the time most students can get themselves out of bed. However, with a little bit of patience and an empty stomach, a Waffle Shop breakfast is sure to be the very best way to start your day in State College.

Screen Shot 2014-04-22 at 6.41.58 PM

5. Eat a Penn State sticky bun – You may be wondering why so much of these list is centered around food but be sure to keep in mind that this is college were talking about. Penn State sticky buns have become so famous that they’re actually served outside of Happy Valley and sold across central PA. One bite and you’ll quickly realize why. Though you can buy them in many different places, you must have one served to you at its birthplace – The Diner on West College Ave. Make sure you get it grilled with ice cream on top, and I promise you will never look at a sticky bun the same way again.

mtnittany

6. Hike Mount Nittany – I have to say that I feel like somewhat of a hypocrite including this one, as I have yet to cross it off my bucket list, but I know for a fact that it is something you must do at some point during your time at Penn State. Hailed as the “classic hike for local residents, tourists and returning alumni,” (http://mtnittany.org/mountain/hike/) the 2-8 mile long trail provides everything there is to love about the central PA wilderness. The beautiful trek features a birds-eye view of the campus, including Beaver Stadium and the Bryce Jordan Center and has become the perfect picture taking spot for Penn State students – aside from the lion shrine that is.

arboretum

7. Walk the Arboretum – If you ever start to feel like you’d rather be at a city school while you’re at Penn State, one trip to the Arboretum will quickly remind you why Happy Valley is the place to be. Whether you’ve heard of it or not, I guarantee you’ve seen pictures. As a way of preserving the true beauty of nature in the hectic world that is college life, the Arboretum is the perfect getaway for any student looking for a little R&R.

pep rally

8. Go to the Pep Rallies – Though some of them, such as Football Eve, are open to all students, I know there is at least one pep rally every year that’s offered exclusively to freshman students so take advantage of it! I’ll never forget going to rec hall and getting to see my entire class come together to learn the chants and be introduced to our new favorite teams. We all know how strong Penn State pride is and pep rallies are one of the very first chances for new students to see it first hand.

Screen Shot 2014-04-22 at 6.39.18 PM

9.  Attend a tailgate – Don’t tell Coach Franklin, but I can honestly say that sometimes I enjoy tailgating even more than attending the actual game during football season. I’m not sure if it’s the never ending food or the feeling of camaraderie that exists between the thousands of alumni who return for each game, but there is simply nothing like a Penn State tailgate. Everything that exists inside the stadium – the cheering, the chants, the pride – all begins hours before the actual game in the fields that surround Beaver Stadium. I know many of you may not be as lucky as I am to have parents who come to every game, but I promise you that finding a tailgate to attend is not hard. Penn State fans will be some of the friendliest people you meet – especially on game day.

Screen Shot 2014-04-22 at 6.39.59 PM

Screen Shot 2014-04-22 at 6.39.02 PM

Screen Shot 2014-04-22 at 6.40.26 PM

10. Become friends with the Nittany Lion – Okay, okay so we all know the Nittany Lion is a pretty busy guy and doesn’t have time to build personal friendships with every student, but attend any major event on campus, and you’re sure to be seeing a lot of him. Whether it’s his crazy energy or flappy ears, there is something so irresistibly lovable about our mascot, and meeting him face to face is the only way to get the full experience. No matter where you see him, don’t be shy. It is pretty much his job to interact with the students and, if you ask me, he does a pretty great job at it.

Screen Shot 2014-04-22 at 6.45.43 PM

Screen Shot 2014-04-22 at 6.45.16 PM

Pictures: http://www.valleymagazinepsu.com/wpcontent/uploads/2012/12/JonathanHsieh.WierdestCreameryFlavors3-1.jpg http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_lwrzelmyox4/TJVujXhJvBI/AAAAAAAABHs/diySfSZeuPs/s1600/100_5545.JPG http://pennstatermag.files.wordpress.com/2010/05/img_3913_arboretum.jpg http://pennstatermag.files.wordpress.com/2013/08/dsc_5678_med_crowd_fisheye.jpg

Tags: