The Language of the Soul

“Dance is the hidden language of the soul.” – Martha Graham

There are many different styles of dance. From show-style jazz like the Rockettes do, salsa and Latin ballroom, contemporary and modern, and classical ballet, Martha Graham’s statement applies to any form of dancing. Perhaps what I like so much about dancing is that you can communicate so effectively without even saying a single word. Even though it may seem a strict and stuffy style, even ballet allows this freedom of discussion. Arguably the most physically demanding of the dance styles, ballet combines physical strength and self-discipline with beauty and self-expression. I realize that using the phrase “self-discipline” and stressing technique makes people think of crazed, starved ballerinas that let the rigor of the dance style get inside their heads.

blackswan

But the truth is that a reaction like Natalie Portman’s in Black Swan is very rare. Ballet can be demanding, but it can also be rewarding and, believe it or not, fun! Anaheim Ballet Company performs under a slogan of “More Than Dance,” and shows audiences how classical training can produce shows that are modern and entertaining. Here’s a short video of theirs that does a great job of demonstrating the balance a ballerina must have between strength and grace.

Ballet is an especially difficult dance style because of the requirement that girls dance en pointe. The bottom sole of the pointe shoe, the “shank,” is typically made of stiff but flexible leatherboard. As the shoes become more worn in, the shank bends more and more until it possible breaks- that’s when you know its time for new shoes! The top of the shoe, the box, is the part on which the ballerina dances. It’s typically made of layers of plastic, paper, and glue, though newer models are adding rubber for more comfort. There is elastic around the ankle to keep the shoes on, and ribbons that tie around the legs for some added support. The entire shoe is covered in pink satin- though they won’t stay that pretty very long! Professional Ballerina’s can go through a pair of pointe shoes in as little as one performance. Typically costing around $80 per pair, the cost of pointe shoes can really add up! For less intense wearers, however, they can last several months. I got by on only two pairs a year, for example.

pointeshoes

When worn and trained properly, feet may still get banged up, but the more serious injuries or deformities you may hear about are preventable. Toenails break and blisters form, but with proper technique and nutrition, it is easy to stay healthy and injury free. Unfortunately I know from experience that the strict technique is there to protect dancers, rather than harm them. I had achilles tendinitis in both achilles  tendonsa couple years ago and had to stay off pointe for a year while I recovered. So even though they look graceful and dainty, never underestimate the strength of a ballerina! Here’s a fun fact: The weight a dancer’s toes support when she is en pointe is comparable to three elephants standing on one leg!

pointexray2

This entry was posted in Passion and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

3 Responses to The Language of the Soul

1. Rachel says:

Kyle, it’s not as tortuous as it sounds! It’s not that it every really stops being painful, you just get more used to it. Out of my performing company of 30 I’d say 5 or 6 got injured- not a bad record! I’ll definitely look into gender politics in ballet.

2. aqb5500 says:

I really liked your blog post about ballet. I can not dance to save my life, but I watch So You Think You Can Dance and I have seen like every dance movie. So it was really cool to hear what dancers really go through.

3. Kyle King says:

Pointe basically looks like the most painful thing ever. Is it painful? At what point does it stop being painful? How many other ballet dancers that you knew suffered from injuries? I keep wanting to make a rushed comparison between pointe in ballet and foot binding practices among Asian countries, but I know that’s a hasty generalization. Maybe it’s worthwhile to write about the gender politics of ballet at some point(e) in time, though.