Toyota Venza Commercial: “Social Network”

Target Audience:

• On one hand, the commercial caters to an older demographic who has not entered the internet, social networking culture. This may have been an active decision to reject this new movement in communication or a more passive, disinterested one, both groups will connect to this commercial. The commercial almost celebrates their commitment to real world experiences and physical social interactions.

• On the other hand, I think the creators of the commercial have also recognized how self-aware and rebellious the younger generation is. The ideas of being “hipster” and rejecting anything mainstream are in themselves commonplaces in our times. Therefore, soon after Facebook culture arose and became popular, a significant counterculture of social networking critics also erupted. While very few would be driven to fight back against Facebook or even delete their own account, they would be more than willing to openly criticize the impacts of Facebook on society. Therefore, they would probably attach to this commercial just the same.

The young “extreme Facebooker” featured in the commercial:

• The girl’s setting tells a lot about her. She seems to be in her bedroom which given by the shelves filled with teddy bears and figurines, has not changed much since she was ten years old. I think many would also assume that this bedroom is in her parent’s home. Therefore, we get the idea that maturity is not a strong point for this girl. You can tell that she is sheltered, naïve, lacks conviction, and does not seem to share the harsh, cynical perception of reality that has almost become a commonplace today. Instead by her doe-eyed stare and soft, pastel color scheme she comes off as sophomoric and therefore inexperienced.

“New Experiences” Commonplace:

• The primary commonplace at work here is centered on experience and activity. Adventure, travel, and action have all become appealing topics in advertisements because many of us have adopted the idea that the more we try, the more fulfilling our lives will be. Therefore, we seek novel experiences which are often tied to exploring the outdoors. Being engaged in nature is a fundamental aspect of the “ideal” lifestyle. We know from images in travel magazines, scenes in movies, and probably from our own experiences that the people who go hiking, and biking, and camping are always youthful, healthy, radiant, and happy. Therefore, the images of the parents biking in the mountains and by the lakeside awakens the desire to experience more, turn back to our bucket list, hop in our car, and go more places.

• And while most people need a car to go explore the mountains, nobody needs a car to explore Facebook. This is why it is important for Toyota to convince us of the fact that the alternate, internet reality presented by Facebook can not replace actual reality. Because this advertisement has come just as people are beginning to question the social impacts of Facebook, more people will be receptive to this message. I think that had it come at the dawn of Facebook, when it was still novel and exciting, the public would found the commercial to be a little too derisive and out-of-touch.

One thought on “Toyota Venza Commercial: “Social Network”

1. I think you did a really nice job of finding a strong advertisement that tons of people recognize. I remember laughing when I saw this for the first time, and I also remember thinking similar thoughts to what you did about the strong class of generations. This advertisment is not only promoting for Toyota, but I believe it is really demoting Facebook. I think your paper already has a strong, clear guide, with a strong commonplace. Well done already!