Baby Forever

16yo

Sixteen-year-old Brooke Greenberg suffers from an unknown syndrome that has resulted in her inability to grow and develop. While other sixteen-year-olds are getting their first car and learning trigonometry, Brooke looks and acts like a toddler. Her bones parallel to those of a newborn infant and to this day, she has never been able to stand unaided. She smiles, but has never uttered a single word. Doctors are baffled by her condition and have claimed that there is no one else like her in the world.

At 36 weeks, doctors were concerned with Melanie Greenberg’s (Brooke’s mother) baby. Melanie’s physician ordered an immediate C-section, which resulted in the birth of 4 lb. 1 oz. baby Brooke. Unfortunately, Brooke was born with an anterior hip dislocation, which is characterized by Brooke’s legs being attached to her torso in a backward-facing position. Doctors taped wooden dowels to Brooke’s small and fragile legs in an effort to straighten them out.

As Brooke began to mature, she was simply not growing. Even with powerful and elevated doses of growth hormones, she showed no progress. Doctors simply could not figure it out. Throughout the first 5 years of her life, Brooke was faced with so many difficulties, including:

• Repeated bouts of pneumonia
  • 1995: A feeding tube was installed in Brooke’s throat due to the fact that her esophagus was too small, and food was being forced into her lungs.
    • Brooke’s surgical wound from the installation of the feeding tube reopens, and she is rushed to the hospital.
  • 1996: Brooke’s eyes roll into the back of her head and she becomes limp. Doctors discover that she has 6 stomach ulcers.
  • 1997: Food begins to enter Brooke’s lungs once more, which results in a 5-month stay at the hospital.
    • During this stay, Brooke experiences a 45 minute brain seizure.
      • This brain seizure results in NO brain damage??
  • September 1997: Broke becomes lethargic and is rushed to the hospital, where she sleeps for 14 consecutive days.
    • On Day 5 of this stay, doctors find a brain tumor the size of a lemon in Brooke’s brain, and give her 48 hours to live.
      • Three days later, the brain tumor is gone??

Brooke's Family

Brooke’s Family

As soon as Brooke turned 5, her medical emergencies mysteriously stopped and stabilized. To this day, her condition still baffles doctors. Currently, Brooke Greenberg is a medical mystery. I give so much credit to this little girl. She has been through SO much in her lifetime.

Sources: http://www.people.com/people/archive/article/0,,20135347,00.html

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to Baby Forever

1. Caitlin Lloyd says:

I remember hearing about her before. I think it is truly amazing! When I was watching a segment on her story, they said that they weren’t sure how long that she was going to live and wondered if she had some genetic disorder that slowed her growth so much that she would live for a much longer time. I didn’t’ realize that she had undergone so many health problems though. I wish that she would be able to talk and share the story from her point of view.

2. Samar Almarzooqi says:

Wow. Just wow. I’ve seen many medical mysteries on TV shows like House and Grey’s Anatomy, but the fact that this is something that actually happened baffles me. She has been through so much, as you said Arimani, and I find it so hard to believe that at the age of 5, the many medical problems she had suddenly stopped. I read this and realize how blessed I am to have six healthy siblings. Her parents and family must be so strong in order to show their unconditional love for their child. I can only hope that Brooke realizes how much love and support she has.