CI #5- 4 Reasons Why…

For my next civic issues blog, I found an article written by Heather Huhman which is entitled, “4 Reasons Why Having a Liberal Arts Degree Can Help Your Career.” I stumbled upon this article as I was searching Google for the pros and cons of having a liberal arts degree. I read numerous articles but none of them really compared the positives and negatives, so I came upon this article and it really intrigued me.

The article begins by explaining how in ancient times, liberal arts tended to include the subjects, which were looked at as, “essential for a free citizen to study.” In todays day, and age, the liberal arts has evolved into the type of education which combines general knowledge involving literature, language, philosophy, history, mathematics, psychology and science. Its like a combination of all these different types of subjects.

The first reason Ms. Huhman gives regarding why having a liberal arts degree can help your career is, ‘it stirs up conversation.’ She goes into explain that a major positive of a non-technical education is, students develop very good inter-personal skills. They take different types of courses which give them the ability to look at things from different angles.

The second reason given is, ‘it opens your mind.’ Like I explained in the previous reason, having a degree in the liberal arts gives you the ability to look at things from different angles because you are studying one of the various fields of study, which allows you to expand your knowledge on a variety of different ideas, though processes, etc.

The third reason Heather gives is, ‘it’s employable.’ She goes into explain that there are positives and negatives for any field of study but the pros definitely outweigh the cons when it comes to liberal arts.

The fourth and final reason given is, ‘it has history.’ Lastly, she goes into explain how many famous leaders have received their Bachelor of Arts degree. Heather then goes into explain that in any career, it doesn’t matter what degree you get, it matters what you yourself do with it. You need to pick the right internships and experiences because they can help shape your career path.

Now, regarding this article there is one thing in particular that I want to say: I feel like the reasons she gives aren’t anything special. The only one that I really care for is the first and second ones. I don’t think the fact that Liberal Arts education has history has anything to do with this degree being any better then a degree in engineering…every career has history, so I feel as if this example was weak.  I definitely agree with her that it doesn’t matter what degree you have but what you do with it. You are the person that has the ability to make your degree be beneficial or not.

http://www.glassdoor.com/blog/4-reasons-liberal-arts-degree-career/

This entry was posted in CI and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to CI #5- 4 Reasons Why…

1. Seamus says:

The best thing about liberal arts degrees is not really what you learn. But that you learn to think about a subject in an intelligent way and also become a critical thinker. Sometimes its not about what you learn, its about how you learn to learn.

2. Jack says:

As an engineer and an impassioned of my trade of choice, you’ll have a hard time convincing me. I can see value in liberal arts education especially when it comes to bettering your life in general. Educated people are better citizens after all.