Yosemite National Park

Yosemite National Park

Half Dome

Half Dome, Yosemite National Park

Location: California, USA

Date Established: October 1, 1890

Fast Fact: 3.7 million visitors per year

Why Visit? Climbing, Views of the Valley, to feel the roots of your American heritage

Ahh, Yosemite. The granddaddy of all the US’s National Parks. You’ve likely seen shots of the grandeur of this park in patriotic videos with “Oh Beautiful For Spacious Skies” playing in the background. That’s certainly how I felt as I drove into the park in an RV, The Taylor Family’s version of “RV” the movie take two, West Coast edition. Yosemite was the first stop of a two-week trip that covered Northern California to Seattle, right up the coast. One cannot deny Yosemite’s symbolism: it has stood as an icon for American rugged wilderness and freedom since 1864. I think it has something to do with the Sierra Nevadas, juxtaposed so nicely with the Redwood forests and Tuolumne meadows.

The Taylor Family, posing in front of our RV lovingly nicknamed "Big Bertha"

The Taylor Family, posing in front of our RV lovingly nicknamed “Big Bertha”

The memories I will share come from my experience in Yosemite with my family the summer after my freshman year of high school. However, I my very first visit to Yosemite was when I was only a few months old. My parents thought it would be a good idea to take a newborn camping…I’ve heard a few horror stories from that trip, but now I know where I get my love of the outdoors from!

Baby Maddie in Yosemite

Baby Maddie in Yosemite

If you visit Yosemite, you have to hike a trail that will take you up high for views of Yosemite Valley. Two options include the famous Half Dome, or the easier North Dome trek. Either option is a challenge but worth the reward, views like this:

yosem valley

The Valley provides amazing features for rock climbing, and hence the diehard climbing community of the United States is centered out of Yosemite as a sort of base camp. All the best climbers live and play here (in their vans turned mobile homes), and any young aspiring climber knows a visit to Yosemite is a must, a rite of passage to the big leagues.

One of my favorite climbers to follow is Alex Honnold. His passion is called free soloing: climbing without ropes. He’s accomplished some pretty crazy feats in his lifetime; big wall climbs such as El Capitan, Half Dome, and Zion’s Moonlight Buttress, all without ropes. His overall athleticism is unparalleled, and watching him work gives me chills.

Honnold on el cap

Alex Honnold perched on El Capitan

This is only a snapshot of Yosemite: in addition to the valley, there are so many waterfalls, forests, and meadows that are fantastic to explore as well. I recommend staying at least 5 days in Yosemite to get a taste of it all. The campground scene is clean and friendly but very popular- you have to be online to snag a campsite months before you plan to visit because the second they go live, they sell out as fast as concert tickets! If you’re looking for a place to start your National Park journey, Yosemite is definitely it. Everything about this park makes you feel American and very appreciative of the natural space to roam.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alex_Honnold

http://www.nps.gov/yose/index.htm

5 thoughts on “Yosemite National Park

1. Oh man, looking at these pictures is making me afraid of heights even in my dorm. I can’t believe people do rock climbing all over cliffs without ropes or harnesses, they seem to defy gravity! If I ever do get to visit I’m going to stay far away from any edges.

2. Yosemite is somewhere I definitely hope to visit at some point. It certainly seems that you enjoyed your second trip more according to that baby picture! Like I’ve said, I went to Yellowstone shortly after it burned down, and I was still amazed by the natural beauty. I have no doubt Yosemite will do the same to me.

3. I went to Yosemite this summer! It was pretty, but I honestly thought it would have been more impressive if I had gone at a less dry time of the year. We could barely see the waterfalls. I’ve never thought about rock climbing there though – that’s pretty cool.

4. I absolutely love everything outdoors, but I haven’t ever been to Yosemite. It is absolutely breathtaking–I can feel the sunshine and warm breeze and imagine the beautiful sunrise and peaceful aura just by thinking about it. It is one place I definitely want to visit sometime. I’d also love to go “real” rock climbing sometime, and I can’t think of a better place to do it than here!

5. Although I am not a huge fan of camping, I really enjoyed reading your post! My dad and brother are super interested in hiking, camping, fishing, etc. so I have visited my fair share of National Parks. This one, however, seems especially exciting, most likely because of its fame. I think it is so cool that you began your love for the outdoors so early, and that your whole family enjoys it together!