American Horror Story

american-horror

October is fast approaching and to me that only means one thing…American Horror Story. Yup, that’s right a new season is on its way. American Horror Story is horror television series created and produced by Ryan Murphy that airs on Fox. Described as a miniseries, each season has its own theme, following a different set of characters and settings, and a storyline with its own “beginning, middle, and end”. The same actors are usually recycled each season and play new roles.

The first season, titled American Horror Story: Murder House is about infidelity. The story takes place in 2011 and follows the life of the Harmon family: psychiatrist Ben , his wife Vivien, and their teenage daughter Violet, who move from Boston to Los Angeles after Vivien has a miscarriage and Ben has an affair. The Harmons move into a restored mansion and soon encounter the home’s former residents, the Langdons: Constance Langdon, and her two children, Tate and Addie, and the disfigured Larry Harvey. Ben and Vivien try to rekindle their relationship, as Violet, suffering from depression, finds herself falling in love with Tate. The Langdons and Larry frequently influence the Harmons’ lives, as the family discovers that the home is haunted by the ghosts of anyone who has ever died on the property.

The second season, titled American Horror Story: Asylum, is about insanity. The story takes place in 1964 and follows the patients, doctors and nuns who work at the Briarcliff Mental Institution, founded to treat and house the criminally insane. The wardens who run the institution include the scary Sister Jude, her protégé Sister Mary Eunice and the founder of the institution, Monsignor Timothy Howard. The doctors in charge of treating the patients at the asylum include psychiatrist Dr. Oliver Thredson and the crazy scientist Dr. Arthur Arden. The patients, many of whom claim to be unjustly institutionalized, include lesbian journalist Lana Winters, accused serial killer Kit Walker, and alleged murderer Grace Bertrand. Briarcliff’s inhabitants are routinely subject to supernatural influences, including demonic possession and extraterrestrial abductions.

The third season (set to premier on October 9th), is titled American Horror Story: Coven. This season is supposed to be centered around witches and the occult. It’s been over 300 years since the Salem witch trials. Those who remain are almost extinct and in danger again. A school has opened in New Orleans to teach protection to the young. This season will be set in modern day and the 1830s.

I personally cannot wait for this season to premier. While I’m the first to admit that this show is indeed very scary, its totally worth it. Halloween has always been my favorite holiday and the fact that this show always premiers around the beginning of October gives me something extra to look forward to. It always adds an extra sense of spookiness and gloom to the already creepy holiday.

Comments

1. I’ve watched the American Horror Story before and most of the second season. I will say it is a very good show, yet it is hard to follow, especially the second season. I didn’t like it as much as I could have if I was able to watch them all in order every week, rather than seeing parts here and there. Now, I’m a big fan of horror movies, and I do have to agree with you, there are some scary parts in the shows.

2. I’ve actually never seen a mini-series and I find it interesting that they completely change everything every season. Also, I’m particularly interested in this next season that you say is coming out soon because I am from Salem! That’s where I was born and I lived about 10 minutes outside of it for the first 8 years of my life. I also LOVE scary movies so I suspect that this would be something I would like. Maybe I’ll check it out! Thanks for the review.

Trackbacks

1. […] credits: New Girl, American Horror Story, Skins, […]

Speak Your Mind