The Vampire Diaries

Vampire-diaries-season-4

For this weeks blog post I will be talking to you guys about The Vampire DiariesI’ve been watching this show on and off since it first premiered but it was only recently that I decided to re-watch the whole thing when I saw that it was available on Netflix. Now, this show can seem to be a typical soapy, drama-filled, teen show with a vampire element but its actually really good. Its one of those shows that definitely improves as the seasons progress.

The Vampire Diaries is a supernatural drama television series developed by Kevin Williamson and Julie Plec. The series premiered on The CW on September 10, 2009.

The series follows the life of Elena Gilbert, a teenage girl who falls deeply in love with a 163-year-old vampire named Stefan Salvatore. Their relationship becomes increasingly complicated as Stefan’s vicious and evil older brother Damon Salvatore returns with a plan to wreak havoc on the town, seeking revenge against his younger brother for turning him into a vampire against his will. Both brothers begin to show affection towards Elena, mainly because of her resemblance to their past love Katherine Pierce. It is revealed that Elena is a descendant of Katherine, who eventually returns with plans against the trio. Elena undergoes many hardships and deaths of close family members and loved ones through her high school experience.

The series is set in the fictional town of Mystic Falls, Virginia, a town filled with supernatural history since its settlement of migrants from New England in the late 19th century. Additional storylines revolve around the other inhabitants of the town, most notably Elena’s younger brother Jeremy Gilbert, her best friends Bonnie Bennett and Caroline Forbes, and their mutual friends Tyler Lockwood and Matt Donovan. The town’s frequent murders and mysterious events are followed by descendants of the original founding families, all comprising a “Founders’ Council”. Some of the founding families of Mystic Falls include the Salvatores, the Gilberts, the Fells, the Forbes, and the Lockwoods. They guard the town mainly from vampires, although there are many more supernatural threats such as werewolves, witches, ghosts, Originals and hybrids.

Now, I’m not usually the type to like a supernatural show but this one really changed my mind about the whole genre. The approach that the writers took toward the show was different and refreshing. They make it seem more realistic than other shows of the same genre. I really recommend this show because its funny at times, dramatic and scary at others and all in all very entertaining and interesting to watch.

Comments

1. I have never seen this show myself, but a few of my friends are obsessed with it. The vampire craze in the media turned me off to all of the these kinds of programs mostly because he fan bases were so intense. Although, I suppose that means they inspire passion. I guess I just have never felt very strongly towards something so impossibly unreal. I am like you in that I am not usually into supernatural shows, but maybe I will have to give this one a chance.

2. Like you said at the end, I too have never been the type of person to watch these types of supernatural shows. I have tried watching some in the past, but it just never clicked for me. And I think largely the problem for me was that it was so unrealistic that I could never get into it. I have never seen this show, but I do know quite a few people who are fans of this show, so maybe it is better than other shows of its genre in the past.

Speak Your Mind