Ideas for Civic Artifact

imgresA phenomena or something that frames a cultural practice would qualify a civic artifact. Animals are symbols in society, they are a civic artifact. Humans possess a spirit animal or special connection toward an animal that is deeper than the physical aspect. The stories about the turtle and the rabbit, the elephant with wisdom, the frog who becomes a prince were always childhood bedtime stories. We all have that onstarfishe animal who provided some meaning or guide in our civic life. Mine growing up was a starfish. The meaning behind the starfish for me began when my dad told me the starfish story.

One day a dad was walking with his daughter along the beach when he noticed she gently picked something up and put it back into the ocean. He asked, “Honey what are you doing?” “Throwing starfish back into the ocean. The surf is up and the tide is going out. If I don’t throw them back, they’ll die.” the dad said, “Don’t you realize there are miles and miles of beach and thousands of starfish? What possible difference could you make?!” She then picked up another starfish, and held out her hand, and smiled at her dad, “I’ll make a big difference to this one!”

From this moment on I looked at life and realized I am here to make a difference. Starfish were a symbol for me to want to make a change in the world. For my speech idea I believe animals in general are a major influence on us; a civic artifact in society. I wanted to speak on how we use animals to inspire our decisions in civic life. Like other life artifacts; ads, music, theatre, art, the American flag, the Red Cross, they all hold true meaning and symbolism that motivate our behavior. I think animals are a prime example of an artifact we base some hidden meaning for ourselves. Whether animals are physically present to guide our emotions, or in spirit I feel they impact our daily lives.

One thought on “Ideas for Civic Artifact

1. I think you have developed an interesting idea here! I am definitely someone that tries to find a deeper meaning in the things around me, and I think animals are sometimes overlooked. While not everyone encounters a variety of animals everyday, the association we make with them from kids through adulthood always remains. For example, many people try to embody the traits of an eagle, the ability to soar alone and be independent. This, in turn, has also served as a representation for America and the freedom we possess. There are so many examples in which animals are associated with characteristics that are highly valued in society and encourage people to live a certain way! I think that’s an idea that you have shown is true for many people, but is often not considered. When presenting your artifact, you may consider expanding upon a specific animal or symbol that has traits attributed to it, and how that trait has an effect on society or the way in which we choose to live. I think sharing your own experience with this association would help support your ideas. Developing your ideas in a way that is clear and relatable will make your audience more engaged with your artifact.