From Manager to MVP

One of my friends recently showed me a video clip on Facebook of a brief news broadcast from CBS News in Rochester, New York. The story follows a student at Greece Athena High School in Rochester, New York, who served as the school’s basketball team manager for four years.

Always at every practice, Jason McElwain was always willing to help he team with whatever they needed. He provided water to the team when they needed it, helped the boys practice their shots, and performed other tasks on a regular basis. His enthusiasm is off the charts, which motivated the team to give it their all every practice and every game. His father explains how sometimes during games he would become worried that the team would receive a technical foul from the refs just because Jason was being so loud and enthusiastic on the sidelines!

For the last game of the season, his coach decided to let him wear a uniform and sit on the bench as a player, rather than a manager. Jason never expected to play; he was just so excited to sit as a part of the team. However, the coach decided to put him in during the last quarter. Jason’s first two shots were a little off, and missed the basket. But his third shot, a three-pointer, swished. His next five three-pointers also swished, including a jumper from nearly half court at the end buzzer. Each time one of his shots went in, the crowd and his teammates all went completely wild. Just watching the video of the game gives me chills.

Did I forget to mention Jason has autism? I did, but not because I didn’t think it was important. Jason embraces the fact that he has autism, and knows it is a part of who he is. However, it does not define him. This story proves that his disability was just a part of who he was, and his teammates or coach never treated him any differently just because of his disability. The opportunity that his coach gave him during the last game had such a significant impact on Jason’s life: he explains those moments of playing in the game with his teammates as one of the only times in his life where he did not feel different than everyone else. A truly inspiring story, and one to put things into perspective.

Watch the news clip here: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10150382292493934&set=vb.158771562262&type=2&theater.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to From Manager to MVP

1. Christina Reuille says:

This is such a sweet and touching story! All of your posts make me smile. I’m glad that society is starting to become more accepting of people that have disabilities. No one chooses to have a disability but when people like Jason are able to live like a normal kid, it really is heartwarming. I would love to have a friend as enthusiastic about life as Jason sounds. I’m glad he had the chance to feel like a normal kid even for just a few minutes.