Library Instruction with 48 hours notice

So I had to negotiate an information literacy session with less than 2 days notice.  Scheduling a room, getting the assignment and feedback from the instructor all at the last minute.  I actually wound up getting a HEAP from the instructor, which is great but means I can’t do a canned presentation.  So I am winging it.  Here it goes.  I am going to try Gagne’s Nine Events of Instruction as a framework.

1. Gain attention (bring out the book I just got a chapter in, since it is just like their assignment)
  2. Today we will… (They will locate and describe resources in a specialized area of science or engineering and become familiar with two government resources in particular)
  3. Remember when…? (They already did web evaluation, that skill is transferable)
  4. Watch me.  Here’s how it’s done. (Show Green Engineering research guide, explain Engineering Village – index of sources, what it searches incl. dates and docs., Perform advanced searching tips)
  5. Here’s a guide for you to follow (Show the entire list of research guides, how to search it)
  6. Now you try it (Give them 5-10 minutes to explore their subject area and record what they find)
  7. Okay, you need to (Ask 2-3 students what index they chose and to describe it)
  8. It’s time for the test (Still wondering how to do this, poll Everywhere?)
  9. Now let’s try it over here… (Go into the GPO Catalog and show searching)

The Assignment is to create an Internet Resource Guide, which used to be called an annotated bibliography (they will be using “library resources”)

This entry was posted in Reflections, Teaching. Bookmark the permalink.