Wait, what am I eating again!?

As Americans, I feel we tend to be slightly narrow-minded when it comes to the food we consume. I feel that if many were informed about the things other countries are chowing down on- things that we may not actually consider food- these people would go ballistic. After doing research, I was certainly surprised to learn about certain foreign foods, but it is important to remember that we should accept these things. Someone may do something differently than what we are used to, but this does not necessarily mean that this something or someone is wrong. So, brace yourself, because I’m going to list the foreign foods that had the most surprising ingredients.

Escamole is a Mexican dish. It looks similar to what one may think is brown rice sautéed with mixed vegetables. In reality, escamole is not made with rice, and what people are actually consuming is ant larvae harvested from the roots of agave plants. In Mexico, this dish is considered a delicacy. It is considered insect caviar and is eaten mostly by the elite in Mexico City and surrounding areas. Escamole is said to taste buttery and nutty, and the taste is often compared to that of cottage cheese.

Another foreign food that consists of rather surprising ingredients is hákarl. It is eaten in Iceland and comprised of Greenland shark that is normally poisionous, but cured when parts of the shark go through a fermentation process and are hung to dry for four to five months. The taste of hákarl is thought to be an acquired one because of its significant ammonia-like smell and strong, fishy taste. Hákarl is served in cubes on sticks, and sold year-round in Icelandic stores. Those who eat hákarl are often associated with hardiness and strength, as this is a task that many can not accomplish.

In China, Bird’s Nest Soup is served. I think it is safe to say that this one speaks for itself. This soup is made from a specific birds nest called a “saliva nests” that are often found in caves. These nests are dissolved in water and their texture becomes gelatinous. Birds’ nests are considered a delicate ingredient in China and the taste of them should not be corrupted by adding any other ingredient that has an overpowering taste to the soup. Bird’s Nest Soup is said to have a savory and sweet taste, and it can often cost as much as 10,000 United States dollars.

These are the meals that shocked me the most. As someone that leaves meat off of her plate, I do not think that I would be willing to try any of these, but if the circumstances were different I think it is possible that I would give it a shot. I think people should generally be open to trying new dishes, even if they are a little unconventional. My point is that one will never know if they like or dislike something if they never try it. So, who knows? Hárkal may be your new favorite food.

3 Comments on Wait, what am I eating again!?

1. mgc5166
    November 13, 2015 at 4:22 pm (8 years ago)

Sometimes, you just have to marvel at what people are willing to put in their mouths. But maybe we’re the weird ones… I tried hakarl when I was in Iceland, and it was, in a word, pungent. I also know that around two billion of the seven billion people on Earth consume insects as a staple of their diet. I’m sure it’s healthy, but there’s no way I’d every try it

2. kvl5406
    November 13, 2015 at 12:54 pm (8 years ago)

I definitely agree that Americans are really close minded about other cultures, and food is absolutely no exception to that. However, as much as I’d like to be more accepting and try new things, all these foods freak me out a little bit. I feel like I’d be most likely to try escamole because maybe I could just pretend it was rice and everything would be fine. (Or maybe not. Who knows.)

3. aft5105
    November 9, 2015 at 11:50 am (8 years ago)

Oh goodness, this is what scares me about eating “interesting” foods in foreign countries. You just never really know what it contains! Whenever we travel I make my brother take the first bite of the new food to tell me what is in it. I do not eat meat, so that is my primary concern, but he is my guinea pig so it all works out in the end. But power to the people who enjoy eating obscure and slightly repulsive (Sorry!) foods!