RSS Feed

My Biggest Fear (blog #2)

July 7, 2015 by smh6203   

All the excitement of graduating and celebrating with friends and family ended on June 28th the day I walked into my dorm at Penn State.  MY BIGGEST FEAR hit me – I don’t know anyone here, and I making new friends isn’t something I’m good at.  In high school, I was that  girl that sat in class without saying a word. I never raised my hand to answer any questions, and teachers never had to worry about me disturbing the class. In my senior year, I slowly started to come out of my shell and interacting more and more but college would be something totally new and  I was honestly scared. Will I be that girl just sitting in her dorm room… alone watching Netflix. Move in day finally was here, I had butterflies in my stomach, and all I wanted to do is turn around and go home. By mid afternoon, it was time to say goodbye to my family. I was not ready to put myself out there and meet new friends. The RA had the first floor meeting that night which I only knew one person, my roommate but not very well. I looked around and noticed all the girls talking in little groups of four or five. It was like everyone already knew each other and were best friends. My FEAR, no friends and sitting in my dorm, was taking over. This was turning out to be the BIGGEST mistake of my life. Later that night I met my pride group, turning what I thought was my biggest mistake of my life into on of the best night ever. I meet so many friendly people and the best thing was that we would all be in the same class. My fear of not meeting people or having friends in this ginormous school VANISHED. I discovered that I could be an outgoing person talking to people, having fun and not being so shy.

5 Comments »

1. brg5232 says:

Was beyond nervous too. I was for sure that I would have to hangout in my dorm and watch netflix by myself too, but the pride meeting seemed to change everything. I’m so glad that I did Leap and have made so many friends. Loved your blog!

2. dpd5241 says:

I was exactly the same as you in high school, but each year I found myself coming out of my shell more and more. I, also, had the same fear that I was going to be sitting in my dorm room most of the time with no new friends, but that fear quickly vanished as I met some great friends within our Leap! I’m glad I’m not the only one!

3. jeo5139 says:

I used to be just like you! I was always considered shy, but when high school came around I opened up completely and made friends with so many people! I turn into such an outgoing person! Now that college is here, I want to make even more friends! It’s important that you stay outgoing and are open to meeting new people so that you have people to go to in your life! I’m happy you love LEAP and that your fear vanished!

4. kzr111 says:

(Oh, I’m Kate–sorry)

5. kzr111 says:

So so glad that you’ve found your fear turning into a good experience! You’ll continue to have these moments, I think, when you realize that you’re not the person you thought you were. Or at least that you’ve got a lot of amazing skills that will get you through the times when you are unsure of yourself and scared. Welcome to Penn State!

You must be logged in to post a comment.