PAS #3 – Stock Quotes

If you read last week’s passion blog you’ll recall that I wrote about screen scraping and how I planned to use it in order to pull stock quotes off of Google.  Well, I have some good news to share with everyone, it works!

screenshot

Pictured above is a screen shot of my program so far.  It prompts the user for the ticker symbol of the stock they would like to look up and then tells the user various information about the stock. Note that this is not how the program will run in the final version, this version of the program was made merely to test pulling stock quotes off of Google.

The next part of the program will be easier to code, but harder to design.  I must design an algorithm that will decide when to buy and sell stocks based on all of the numbers I pull off of Google.  I have barely any idea where to begin.  The stock market has so many variables, numbers, and figures that it makes my math textbooks look like bedtime stories.  This week I’m going to continue researching the stock market and see if I can’t get a very basic, and probably bad, algorithm running.  If you have any suggestions or ideas, please let me know.  I can use all the help I can get.

7 thoughts on “PAS #3 – Stock Quotes

1. Thats a pretty big jump, its impressive that you have it working this well, this quickly. Keep it up, with projects like this that can get tedious it may be annoying to continue work. You could make this incredible.

2. I feel really dumb now, you’re still very young yet you help develop something as epic as this! Great job kid.

3. I really like the fact that you are creating something here and taking us through that process. I am always interested in learning things that I don’t quite understand myself. Programming was something I always just let the math wizards take care of, but I would like to see the things you can accomplish in the future.

4. Wow!! This is interesting! I’m not very tech savvy but if I was I would defiantly help you out! I hope someone helps you discover the answer ha-ha. Good luck!

5. This is a very interesting post, and I wish I could help more then I can. I am not the best with computers and electronics, especially the hidden codes, but I think it is so cool and interesting that you’ve gotten this far. I am excited to see what you come up with for your next passion blog, and I hope you get further/ find out how to proceed!

6. This is a pretty cool passion blog that you have. I skimmed over the first two and kind of got an understanding of them but this stuff seems to be pretty intense. I am not that handy with computers and only know the basic steps to figure stuff out. I had a classmate in high school that actually made his own app for the iphone which allowed users to lock individual apps even after the iphone was unlocked. He would probably understand this stuff better than me. Cool passion though.

7. I think one algorithm you should consider is to monitor the ranges upon which the stocks’ value slides between. Mapping the local minima and maxima will give you two fairly linear functions over a short interval of time (about thirty minutes). On the short scale (one minute), if the value of the stock is at a local minimum, buy, and if the stock is at a local maximum, sell.
    I think the method that would work out better in the real world is to monitor the change in the minima and maxima over the period of thirty minutes, and buy or sell based on that.

However, I don’t trade aggressively in the stock market, so my suggestion is just speculation.