Food and Cancer

causes_of_cancer

When deciding to go on a diet, the main thing on our minds is losing weight and being healthier. Isn’t that the entire objective of a diet? Cut out the sugar, reduce the salt, don’t eat after seven, blah, blah, blah. Have you ever thought about a no-cancer diet? I bet you haven’t.

If you are already planning on going on a diet, why not put in a little extra effort to avoid the cancerous goodies that are lurking in the dark? Incorporate these few things, and take out others so that you reduce your risks.

1) Eating seven or more daily servings of a variety of grains, grain products, legumes, roots and tubers will provide protective benefits against cancer. The less processed the grain is, the better, so try aim for wholegrain foods like; oats, brown rice, corn, rye, kidney beans and lentils. Diets high in refined starch and refined sugar may increase the risk of stomach cancer and bowel cancer (Better Health).

2) According the the World Cancer Research Fund (WCRF), there have been studies that show convincing scientific evidence that eating processed meat increases bowel cancer risk. These include hot dogs, ham, bacon, and some sausages and burgers. There is also convincing evidence that red meat also increases a person’s risk of bowel cancer, so it is recommended that individuals, particularly men, decrease their intake of red meat (Better Health).

3) While fatty foods are rumored to cause cancer, there is no hard evidence that there are any hard end points to eating fatty foods. While soft endpoints such as high cholesterol and blood pressure may cause other health risks, and could lead to obesity, fatty foods are not your main enemy when battling directly with cancer. There is a correlation, however, between fatty foods and colon cancer which is due to obesity (Better Health). 

4) Vegetables are a natural defense against cancers (Better Health). So eat your greens, says Popeye the Sailor Man.

5) Women, pay attention; breast cancer is the most common cancer effecting us today. Diets high in foods containing mono-unsaturated fat, such as olive oil, canola oil, some nuts and seeds, and high in vegetables may reduce the risk. Alcohol consumption increases the risk. So cut back on the parties (Better Health).

There are loads and loads of more information about foods that cause and fight against certain cancers; too many to list in one blog, and i do not want to bore you. But if you are interested in a more healthy life style, visit this link.

Be sure to see my next post that will have your mouth drop to the floor. Foods that you eat every day, that seem to have no harm, are actually killing you!

cancer-fighting-foodssources:

http://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/bhcv2/bhcarticles.nsf/pages/Cancer_and_food

One thought on “Food and Cancer

1. Asia Grant

So I like the thinking behind the theory, because this way diet does seem to hit every part of the food pyramid and doesn’t push the dieters body to the extreme. However, I think you need a bit more information if you are going to link these foods to certain cancer prevention.

For example, you mention in your first point that refined grains and refined sugars can increase one’s chances to contract stomach or bowel cancer. Rather than just stating that, you could go into how the chemical structure and modifications of those ingredients affect human cellular function. These food ingredients can also have other less severe side effects on us–for example, I used to drink soda regularly and I became mildly dependent on it to get through the day (I would seriously crave it otherwise). During those days I would feel sluggish and heavy, since then I have switched to water which has helped me lose weight and have more sustainable energy throughout the day. I’ll definitely stay tuned for your next blog to see what else you present!