Are Brita Filters Really Worth It?

America has some of the cleanest drinking water in the world. We strain it, filter it, treat it, all before it gets to our plumbing and yet we still go out and buy a water purifier to stick in the fridge. So do these filters actually work? One study concludes that Brita filters can lower the minimal amount of chemicals, but ultimately the water is completely safe before it is filtered. So why do people use these filters? Some complain that they can taste certain chemicals, like chlorine, in their tap water and others just don’t trust the safety of their water.

water-filter

I was surprised that this article didn’t mention how some people’s water safety is very relative. People who live in areas where fracking is an issue have had water come out of their tap that is so toxic that it can be set on fire. It’s safe to say the water coming out of their tap is a lot less safe than someone living in a different area, so the case against getting or not getting a water filter is very subjective. Ultimately, it is up to the consumer and their own level of comfort in drinking their own water and the condition of the water in their area. For many, investing in a $20 water filter is worth it compared to the risk of ingesting toxins that may have slipped through the system, but it is ultimately a personal choice.

webmd.com

today.com

3 thoughts on “Are Brita Filters Really Worth It?

1. Jiang Shan

I come from the state that has the best and safest drinking water, New York. Because of this, I never really worried about drinking water, not even unfiltered water. However, after coming to Penn State, for the first time I’m worried about the water I drink. I actually bought myself a Brita Filter. However, after the water is filtered, I taste a weird taste in my water and I don’t like the taste. This made me wonder if the water I’m drinking from the Brita Filter is actually filtered completely. Due to this little doubt, I actually prefer to buy bottled water instead of using the filters. I know that bottled waters cause more pollution but I can’t stand the taste of water from the filter. After conducting a mini experiment myself, I concluded that the water in Pennsylvania caused the weird taste because there weren’t any weird taste from the filtered water in New York.

2. Kevin Zheng

I think everyone in a college dorm should buy a Brita Filter because it’s your easiest way of drinking water. However, I would have to agree with what you said that some people claimed that it tasted a little bit like chemicals. My brita also produced some weird black stuff on the bottom of the pitcher. So I guess you are right in that you should choose to buy one based off of personal preferences. My personal preference is to have one, regardless of what minor flaws they have!

3. Allison Voegeli

Great post! Drinking water is very important to our health and I think that it is essential for everyone to have clean water. However, in addition to purchasing a Brita filter for cleanliness, these filters have another advantage too. They help reduce the amount of plastic water bottles people consume. One filter can save about 300 water bottles! If you purchase a filter, you are reducing the amount of pollution and helping the planet go green! It will also save you money in the long run. Overall, very interesting post! https://www.brita.com/products/water-bottles/