Weather’s Effect on My Mood

I’ve lived my entire life in Pennsylvania, which means I’ve been dealing with cold winters since I been a baby. All I know is cold come November and the cold stays under February/March. I love living in the Northeast because if I go on vacation or if it’s a nice day, I appreciate the nice weather so much more. People that live in summer 365 days a year doesn’t feel the same appreciation, but they are definitely not cool with the cold. Many studies have been done that aimed to figure out if weather can affect a person’s mood and to what extent. After reading John M. Grohol, PSY.D’s article on weathers effect on mood, I believe the evidence is irrefutable that weather is a direct cause of mood shifts. It may seem very obvious and typical that nice weather will make the day better. It means more time spent outside, more sunlight, less clothing, etc. It has a deeper effect than making a person happy that it’s sunny out or sad it’s cold.

In one study by Hardt and Gerbershagen (what a name), they questioned 3,000 patients of chronic pain on their depression. They’re questionnaire results showed there was no correlation between depression and the time of the year, nor the amount of daily hours of sunshine. This experiment could have been improved upon if the patients talked about how much sunlight they got and if their was a control and experimental group to compare.

Additionally,

Works Cited

“Weather Can Change Your Mood.” Psych Central.com. N.p., n.d. Web. 03 Dec. 2014.

7 thoughts on “Weather’s Effect on My Mood

1. Kaylani Chang

I did a blog on the same topic and I definitely notice that during the winter here I am alot less motivated than when I am back home in California. I know that for me, when the winter came I had extreme migraines and felt awfully sick for a couple days. The weather definitely has an effect on your body and how you feel.

2. Patrick Mansfield

I know what it’s like to experience seasonal depression first-hand, as I also live in the Northeast where the whether can get particularly nasty. However, with certain medications and methods of therapy and exercise, seasonal depression is easy to beat. When I first encountered seasonal depression during high school, I did a lot of research on the subject. I found a number of ways to combat the depression, and became very interested in one in particular (although I’ve never tried it for myself, I still found it very unusual/interesting), called light therapy. You use a special lamp that emits artificial light that mimics sunlight, and it’s supposed to help you with seasonal depression during the fall and winter months.

3. Matthew Price Knittel

I feel like each person reacts differently to weather conditions. If someone sees rain outside, I would expect that person to be a little upset that they could not do some of the things they wanted that day, but relating it to depression takes it too far for me. Some people hate certain types of weather but it is something that most people can deal with even though they might not like it.

4. Matthew Price Knittel

5. Matthew Price Knittel

6. Matthew Price Knittel

7. Katelyn May Schreckengast

This study is a problem because it’s observational and the data was derived from a survey, which could lead to bias from the participants. There is also always the possibility of chance, and third-counfoudning variables were not taken into consideration.