Whitening Strips

I wrote my last post on yellowing teeth, and at the beginning of college as I noticed my teeth weren’t as white as they used to be I considered whitening strips. I’ve always been cautious and steered clear of whitening strips because my friends who have used them say they’re teeth get super sensitive, and they usually go back to being yellow after a couple of months. I’ve also heard that at home whitening kits aren’t safe for your teeth and wanted to know if that’s true and why.

Here are the basics: whitening strips are pieces of plastic with treatment containing a form of peroxide, a whitening agent that oxidizes on contact with teeth, then reactions break stain bonds, thus removing stains. source

Upon reading the crest website, they assure that their whitestrips are tested for safety and are completely harmless. I also found that “According to the American Dental Association (ADA), both over-the-counter (OTC) and whitening products you buy from the dentist are mostly safe and effective. Some products are even eligible for the ADA Seal of Acceptance. However, the ADA recommends a dental consultation before self-treating in order to avoid exacerbating any existing problems with teeth and gums, or covering up tooth darkening that would help a dental professional in finding potential problems.” source source

However, they also address the irritation and pain that can come along with whitening. This pain depends on the whitening strips’ user, as well as how well they follow the instructions. When applied too heavily too the gums, “extreme sensitivity and soreness may result,” also keeping the strips on for longer than the recommended amount of time can strip the tooth’s enamel and cause problems in your gums. Also, users that use multiple packages run the risk of permanently damaging their teeth.

I’m actually really glad to know that the ADA has deemed these products safe, and I think I just might try whitening strips (following the recommended instructions) and see what happens!

One thought on “Whitening Strips

1. Jordan Nicole Presto

Hi again Alison! I love love love whitening strips but however I do feel as if my teeth are prone to sensitivity after I use them. They work like a dream if you’re consistent with them, but when I drink/eat something very cold my teeth hurt pretty badly (enough to make me stop). This only happens for about a week after I use them. I stumbled upon an article (http://www.animated-teeth.com/whitening_strips/a4_teeth_whitening.htm) that says, “Studies suggest that between 1/3 and 1/2 of all people who use Whitestrips will experience some degree of tooth sensitivity. This is on par with that level typically reported for other peroxide-based whitening methods.”