The Importance of Ending Cell Phone Addiction

A common problem I often find myself encountered would be the fact I’m constantly bumped into by my peers on our journeys between classes. I don’t particularly enjoy being constantly hit and unintentionally abused. Some of you might ask “Why are people walking into you?” or “Well maybe you’re the one that needs to watch where you’re going.”. But I can guarantee you that all of the tiny bumps, scratches, and battle scars which I have accumulated are all thanks to our…CELL PHONES…..

BREAKING NEWS: Trump's bad posture is most likely due to his excessive cell phone use!!!

BREAKING NEWS: Trump’s bad posture is most likely the result of excessive cell phone use!!!

We all have a cell phone. And whether or not we are able to admit it each one of us is addicted to our special devise. It is nearly impossible to have a simple face-to-face conversation with someone without checking our phones. We all try to defend ourselves by saying that “we’re just checking the time” but c’mon, everyone knows that’s not true…

The newest realization I have come to is that we can’t even walk from one building to the next during a normal college day without our noses practically touching our phones. A recent study performed at Cal State University Northridge stated that, ” female college students spend an average of 10 hours a day on their cellphones while their male peers spend almost eight hours daily”. Professors from the university even find that cell phones can cause serious conflicts between themselves and their students.

As we all know, the human body was designed to stand up-right and we have the ability to move freely. But there are limitations. The average human head weighs 10 to 12 pounds. Initially this doesn’t seem too bad. But, according to research done by Dr. Kenneth Hansraj, once you add the effects of gravitational pull your head becomes many times heavier than it actually is. Dr. Hansraj states that by bending your head an additional 60 degrees to get a better look at your selfie puts an additional 60 pounds of pressure on your cervical spine. bad-posture-620w

This additional amount of weight is equivalent to having a 7 year old on your back. I don’t know about you, but there is no way I would ever be able to carry a small child on my back for 10 hours. We are all unaware of the harm we are putting on our bodies. Today we may seem fine but the older we get the more severe our back problems will become. It has also been stated that physicians are beginning to find themselves encountered with more and more surgeries simply due to excessive and improper cell phone use.

There are many tips as to how to prevent yourself from incorrectly using your smart phone in order to save yourself from a lifetime of back pain. Maybe the first step we can all try to take is looking where we’re going in between classes rather than straining our necks just to check how many likes we got on our most recent Instagram picture. This will not only make your back happier, but it will make the people you are constantly bumping into happier as well. It’s a common problem that each one of us finds ourselves encountered with but it is an easy fix. Don’t believe me? Well, I can guarantee that you had horrible posture the entire time you were reading this article…

5 thoughts on “The Importance of Ending Cell Phone Addiction

1. Emanuel Gabriel Mitchell

This article stated some very good points! For the past month I’ve challenged myself not to use my cell phone while I’m around other people, but to instead interact with the people currently surrounding me. Not only does cell phone use affect people physical (i.e. straining their necks) but also socially. This article discusses how it affects social lives

2. Shunyi Yu

HI JOHNNA

It’s so scary!!!! While I am reading this post, I cannot help myself to sit straight immediately. And i thought about my everyday life. It’s so true that we tend to spend too much time on phones which i found my back is look like the picture you show us. I never thought it would the problem of phone, but the problem of bag. The example and statistics you provide us is really convincing. Although now I realize this problem, I assume we still cannot stop using our phones on our way to class, on the bus, or even reduce the time we are using it. Hopefully more workout will help.

3. Sarah Jo Sokoloski

The statistics you provided were really good as well as kind of alarming. The fact that female college students spend 10 hours looking at the phone is eye opening. But there is certainly visible evidence in front of us, if you walk to a class and look around the majority of people surrounding you are on their phone. Not to say that cellphones are a bad technological advantage, because they most definitely assist in many things. But the fact that they are impeding on daily function and can contort the posture of users is something people need to take into consideration.

4. Claire E Going

Johnna,

This article was very interesting to me because I have had many similar experiences walking to class. Just the other day, I almost got hit by a bike because the guy on the bike was texting and riding. The cell phone addiction needs to stop, and here is a link that might help a few of you. How to end your Cell Phone addiction but in all seriousness, cell phones can be very detrimental to our health. Here is another study I found interesting on how cell phone usage is harming our health. the harming effects of cell phones

5. John McGranaghan

This a really interesting perspective on the downside of using cell phones too much. I love the comparison Trump. I was wondering, do you develop bad posture only when your standing and using a cell phone, or can you also develop bad posture when your sitting and using a cell phone as well?