How do sleeping pills work?

article-2303740-0B1FF62D000005DC-450_634x403

Do you experience times when you have hard time to sleep? You just lay on the bad for hours and just can’t fall asleep. Now, we got phones, computers and all the other entertainments. We can play with those when can’t sleep, but they actually make us harder to sleep. People are getting less sleeping time, and more and more people start to have insomnia. The most direct way to fall asleep quickly is to take sleeping pills. So how do sleeping pills work? what side effect do they have?

The main propose of sleeping pills is to make people fall asleep, so they work on the brains. They depress the central nervous system and promote drowsiness in your brain. Depress the central nervous system results in  relaxation, less anxiety, slow reflex and breathing then sleepiness. So it actually do many things that help people go to sleep. articlesbase

Most sleeping pills should be prescribe by doctors, but there are some sleeping pills that are over-the -counter, so they can be bought without prescription. For example, sleeping pills that contain diphenhydramine. diphenhydramine was originally used to treat allergy symptoms, but it has the side effect of drowsiness. This kind of sleeping pills can help normal people that suffer infrequent insomnia, but if the person has insomnia for a long time, than this drug isn’t strong enough for them and won’t do much.

Prescribe sleeping pills such as Amnien and Sonata are the most common sleeping pills used by people. they contain the medicine called Gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA). Human brains has GABA receptors, so these sleeping pills can deal with it to make us feel relax and sleepy. And by selecting the GABA sleeping pills, they can target certain GABA receptors to make it more precise and efficient. doctors believed that it is better for promoting sleep rather than just making people fall asleep. WebMD

Of course, If you are taking medicine, there will be side effects. Sleeping pills have many side effects that are well known. Such as feeling sleepy the next day, easy to forget some events and dizzy. After taking sleeping pills for a long period, your body will grow accustomed to drugs, so it takes more drugs to make you fall asleep. And when you stop taking the sleeping pills, it will be even harder for you to fall asleep than before taking drugs. There are reports about sleep walking after taking sleeping pills. And according to the study published in BMJ Open, there is a higher chance for people who take sleeping pills to get cancer and die than people who didn’t take them. Also, taking a lot of sleeping pills at a time will cause people to die. everydayhealth

Sleeping pills can really help many people when they have a hard time falling asleep, but we need to see a doctor before using them. Sleeping pills are good things when we use them properly, but having a good sleeping habits can truly benefit people for life.

sleeping-pills-350

2 thoughts on “How do sleeping pills work?

1. Courtney Michelle Walker

This blog was interesting because most college students find it hard to fall asleep with our weird schedules that we all have. I just posted a blog on sleep deprivation and I suggest you read it. People with sleep deprivation can suffer from many long term affects. My blog goes in detail of all the things that sleep deprivation can cause. It can be very detrimental to one’s body and health. It also affects one’s schoolwork because it makes them less focused and makes them remember less. Most sleep deprived people probably turn to the sleeping pills explained in your blog in order to get some sleep. Here is a link to my blog: http://sites.psu.edu/siowfa15/2015/12/03/how-does-sleep-deprivation-affect-us/

2. Amanda Taina Quinones

Just as you stated there are so many aspects that play into sleep problems. In my last blog post I stated some points about the effect of bing watching television on insomnia, check it out! The only advice or “problem” I have with this post is the lack of background information on some of the research studies. I think that the point about sleeping pills relating to a higher chance of cancer, and too many causing people to die is a heavy heavy claim. I would love to see some more information on the format of the study and results so that it is easier to believe as a reader, and creates a stronger effect. I also would like to mention that people may be misdiagnosing their sleep problems. A lot of the times it could be solved with something simple such as meditation or essential oils, if the core problem is anxiety. We are conditioned to jump straight to medications, which you stated could have dangers, when there may be other options. Overall, great post thanks for sharing.