Science Was Never My Forte

Hi, I’m Parker Yochim an incoming Freshman student from Erie, Pennsylvania. I chose to take this course mainly because it came highly recommended by my academic advisor. Upon further inquiry I was pleased to find out that this class takes a very unorthodox approach at teaching. In my opinion, classes should not be taught as just a matter of facts and figures, but rather as a matter of deep thought and reflection as the latter reveals true knowledge about a subject. I have never found Science to be very interesting to me, not because it bores me, but rather because the way it was taught to me was quite mundane. My primary school experience in Science was one plagued with petty memorization about topics that were uninteresting to me. However, this class seems as if it will be, for the first time, truly exciting and engaging. I look forward to the next semester and hope to learn all I can about the wonderful world of Science. Bill_Nye_the_Science_Guy_title_screen

An interesting article I saw on reddit today can be found HERE. This article talks about the development of a new app that is able to diagnose Autism by recognizing touch patterns. The app has been shown to be 93 percent effective in a survey of 37 people.

2 thoughts on “Science Was Never My Forte

1. knb156

Hi Parker, I found your post really interesting. The part on new ways to test autism in children. Its crazy how just them using more force and quicker swipes indicates autism. Although the study was really intriguing, it only tested 37 children which I found, to be a really low number. Thousands of kids have autism, so to only test 37 seems inaccurate. I can relate to your experience with science education in primary school and I too look forward to this class.

1. knb156

Hi Parker, I found your post really interesting. The part on new ways to test autism in children. Its crazy how just them using more force and quicker swipes indicates autism. Although the study was really intriguing, it only tested 37 children which I found, to be a really low number. Thousands of kids have autism, so to only test 37 seems inaccurate. I can relate to your experience with science education in primary school and I too look forward to this class. Here is a link of a TedTalk explaining the reforms we need in science education. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLYMLt4MQ0Y