Science is Not for Me

Hi everyone! My name is Maggie Marchok and I am a sophomore here at Penn State. I am from a small town about 45 minutes north of Philadelphia called Washington Crossing, PA. I am currently in DUS, but hopefully by the end of this year I will be in the Smeal School of Business as a Supply Chain Management major. Like many of my fellow business majors, I am not a science person at all.

This article pretty much sums up why I do not like science and why I am not planning on majoring in it. Aside from the first reason listed, the last four hit the nail right on the head. Science is a dark and complicated subject. As someone who always looks on the bright side of things, I often find science to be pessimistic and therefore I do not like it. I also find it to be extremely hard to understand. Complex math equations and high-level reasoning really aren’t my thing. Therefore, pursuing a degree in such a field really isn’t up my ally. I want to major in something that I know I can excel at and something that I know I will enjoy. Unfortunately, science is not that something that I am talking about.

Even though I am not the biggest fan of science, I still have an appreciation for it. I recognize the fact that without science, we wouldn’t have things like electricity, knowledge of outer space, modern medicine, or a multitude of other important things. Therefore, I see great value in taking some sort of class where I can learn the basics of science without delving too deep into the matter. That is exactly why Science 200 is the class for me. I will be able to learn the basics of science through some very cool topics, such as “Does prayer heal?” or “Where does evil come from?”

Most science classes cover topics about biology, physics, and a plethora of other complex topics. However, this course  provides me with an opportunity to gain a better understanding of science through some very interesting topics. For once in my life, I am actually excited to take a science course! I am really looking forward to this semester.

Image result for science memes

One thought on “Science is Not for Me

1. rlw5445

Hi Maggie,
    I agree with your opinion 100%. Science tends to emphasize the negative impacts of our actions and the dooming affects it will have on later generations. Also a lot of news that is posted concerning the science field assumes that the reader has a basic understanding of the concept when in reality I do not know what they are talking about half the time. Despite these negative opinions I fully understand your appreciation for the subject non-the-less as I too understand the importance of the subject in our every day lives. Take this philosopher’s opinion on a future without science for example. He demonstrates just how paramount the role of this subject is in our lives. http://www.the-philosopher.co.uk/end-of-science.htm