AH! the element of surprise

Hey SC 200!

My name is Danielle Sobel and I’m from Rockville, Maryland which is just outside of Washington, D.C. I’m majoring in Journalism, I love old Taylor Swift (‘Fearless’ is the best album, obviously), and I love thunderstorms.

I’ve always been envious of my friends who really understood science, because I never did. I grew up getting pretty good grades in science classes…until I got to sophomore year Chemistry. I tried memorizing the Periodic Table. I tried learning Stoichiometry (I still don’t really know what it is if we’re being honest). I even tried to wrap my head around molar mass but it just wasn’t happening. I didn’t count out science completely though. I took Anatomy later on in high school and I even dabbled in Biology a little bit. I was successful, but still frustrated. It has always been hard for me to conceptualize the classroom “scientific”  topics and accept the fact that there is only one correct answer and only one way to think about something.

When working on my schedule before coming to campus in the fall, I was trying to find a thought provoking, but not a “pull-your-hair-out”, type of science class to fulfill my Gen Ed. I read about SC 200 and discussed with my adviser about the possibility of taking the course. We decided based on the description of it that it would be a good fit for me.

Even though the semester has just started, I am confident that I will continue be pleasantly surprised by what this course has to offer. I am so intrigued to discuss questions about the world I have never even though of before and I can’t wait to hear the perspectives of everyone.

One thought on “AH! the element of surprise