Frustrating High School Science Teachers

Hello SC200, my name is Kyle Finnerty.  I am from Ridgewood, NJ and I’m a freshman here at Penn State.  Both of my parents attended Penn State so it was an easy decision for me to come here.  I’m currently undecided on my intended major, but I am leaning towards something in business.  I’ve never really had a serious problem with science and enjoyed biology freshman year of high school.  However, my sophomore and junior year of high school I was stuck taking Chemistry and Physics with two teachers who were extremely frustrating to be in class with.  They did the bare minimum teaching by the book and never created any interest in the actual content of the class for us students.  I would venture to guess that there many other students in this SC200 class that had a similar experience in high school.

tumblr_lzgeu9GxGw1r7az77o1_500

I am taking this course because it seemed like a good fit for me.  My advisor told me at orientation that this was a class where a non-science loving student could still be interested and enjoy going to class everyday.  She also mentioned that students really enjoy the teacher and after a couple of classes I can see why.  I am really interested in sports and how science is a factor in aspects of each game.  I often view ESPN’s sports science segments because they are short and interesting.  The one I chose to paste in this blog breaks down the differences between LeBron James and Steph Curry.  This is especially relevant now after this years thrilling 7 game NBA Finals between the Warriors and Cavs; here is the link.  I am not majoring in anything related to science, but I am looking forward to doing some abstract thinking about interesting topics in this course.

3 thoughts on “Frustrating High School Science Teachers

1. Grace Ellen Leibow

Hey Kyle, I read your post and it seems like we are super similar in our interests, disinterests, and experiences in high school science. Like you, I also feel like this class will be a good fit for me, and thats only become more obvious the more classes I’ve had with Andrew. It really caught my eye when you said that you liked Sports and Science, I’ve played soccer my whole life and I remember loving the Sports and Science video that analyzes Messi’s Magic. I posted a link here for you to check it out. Hope to see you in class!