I Appreciate Science

Hi, my name is Marissa Dorros and I’m a freshman from Andover, Massachusetts. I’m in the Division of Undergraduate Studies, and although I’m pretty open-minded about what I want to major in, I don’t think I will end up being a science major. In middle school, science was my favorite subject. Playing sports in high school (gymnastics, cheerleading, and track) sparked my curiosity in the sports science field. However, after struggling to do well in anatomy & physiology and other science courses in high school, I realized the science path is not for me. Though I put in more effort than in other classes through tutors and after school hours, and though I find the show House fascinating, classes like chemistry and physics never really clicked.

w460Image found here

However, I do appreciate science, and in high school I even took some science classes that I ended up liking; however, I can’t see myself devoting the rest of my life to these subjects. Last year in marine biology, I presented to my class a new marine advancement – the creation of “seabins”. They are trashcans for the water, created by two Australian ex-surfers who intend to clear out waste by the coastal surface of the ocean. Although the seabins are expensive and will not clear out all trash in the ocean, they could increase people’s attention to the problem of pollution, they could save some marine organisms from the negative effects of polluted water, and they have other worthwhile effects. Here, you can discover the creators’ background and why the creation is so necessary, and here, you can read about how pollution is so harmful, and the way the seabins will help to stop it. I thought this topic was relevant because a few of the groups in class this past week revealed that they consider global warming/pollution to be the most important science-related issue.

Some of my favorite high school classes were English and Contemporary World Issues. At NSO, my advisor recommended SC200, and since I appreciate science, enjoy critical thinking, and like to stay updated on current events, I thought it would be a good fit for me. Attending the first few classes confirmed that it’s a good fit, so I’m looking forward to the rest of the semester!