You’re Interesting, but Incomprehensible

Hi everyone,

My name is Nicole Sherman, and I am a freshman who is extremely undecided when it comes to my major. I am currently in the Division of Undergraduate Studies, and pursuing numerous options and majors. I come from a very small town in Pennsylvania, named Susquehanna. Fun fact: I graduated with only forty-eight kids, a super small amount. And no, I did not attend a private school, there were simply not that many individuals in my town.

For me, it’s not necessarily that I don’t like science, it’s more of the fact that I don’t understand it. I find certain aspects of science to be interesting, for instance, I have a great love of archeology. I have always been extremely interested in ancient Egypt, especially news such as this. However, I have never really understood science. I have done fairly well in most of my science courses up to this point, but, for the life of me, I cannot understand Chemistry of Physics. They baffle me and put me in a horrible mood. Sophomore year I took a Chemistry class, and, no matter how hard I studied, or how much I tried, I could not grasp the concepts.  Especially balancing equations, I could do simple ones, but as soon as they got complicated, the answers eluded me. It is because of my lack of understanding towards science that I have ultimately chosen not to become a science major, and the reason why I have chosen this class as well; a science based class, for individuals who don’t necessarily like science, how could I go wrong? However, as perplexed as I am by the world of science, I am also in awe of those who can understand it, and also slightly jealous as well, because science opens one up to a whole new world and endless possibilities.

Instead, I have chosen to pursue interests in law, communications, and journalism. Those subjects I can begin to understand, and do not end up feeling confused like I am with science. For an accurate representation of how I feel when it comes to science, please reference the image below.

data-science

I am really looking forward to the rest of the semester, and am pretty confident that, based on what I have seen so far, this course will be very interesting!

Picture Link: Please click HERE to reference where I have taken the image from.

One thought on “You’re Interesting, but Incomprehensible

1. Marissa Dorros

Hi! I’m also a freshman in the Division of Undergraduate Studies, and I too am extremely unsure of what I want to major in (although it also probably won’t be science-related). In the past few weeks, I’ve gotten accustomed to telling people that I’m exploring my options before committing to one major. Not everyone in the world agrees that it is a positive academic choice to enroll as undecided, but these Penn State student stories about their DUS experiences really grasp Penn State’s acceptance and encouragement for DUS students.