Breaking Fast

Typically, when my environments undergo a big change, it takes about two days to develop a new routine. The first two days consist of many stressful and unexpected events and since I’m me, I hate that. Most of my friends criticize me for my tendency to plan most of the things I do. But I will repeat to you what I always respond to them and say it wasn’t in my control that I was given a crazy brain, deal with it. Since arriving at college my routine has usually been like this:

1. Wake up 45 minutes before my first class starts
  2. Go to the bathroom to wash my face and brush my teeth but I ALWAYS forget my toothbrush so I have to make two trips to the bathroom
  3. Make myself a cup of coffee (keurig was the best purchase I’ve ever made)
  4. Do my makeup
  5. Get dressed
  6. Sit on my desk and eat a yogurt
  7. Proceed to my class (at a fast pace because I never give myself enough time to get to class early)

Now why did I make my routine public to all of you? Take a look at #6 again. Many of you may think this is not unusual. Eating before class, yeah, what’s so great about that? But for me it’s a huge deal. Since arriving at college, my eating habits have drastically changed. Before here, I would never eat breakfast. I was the crankiest girl to walk into Pascack Hills until 11:53 when lunch would begin. By adding this little detail to my routine, I have felt a tremendous difference in myself: a good one.

.image-axd

The saying is right! Breakfast is the most important meal of the day. Although many of you may argue with that statement and claim coffee does the trick I will tell you this, coffee won’t help when your professor asks you a question about the reading you were suppose to do the night before. Coffee speeds up your brain, making most of your thoughts jumbled into the web with all your other thoughts. Anyways, before eating breakfast, I would eat anything and everything that was put in front of me during lunch. Now adding breakfast to my diet, preferably with lean protein in it, it gives me that boost to feel full until lunch. (Born Fitness) So when lunch finally does come around, I’m not scavenging for more food.

The benefits in breakfast start with it’s name. Break-fast. You are breaking your fast from sleeping. If you skip your morning meal, it can throw off your body’s routine of fasting and eating. So right now I want you to think about when you wake up. Your arms and legs are usually flimsy, your thinking capabilities aren’t on full alert as they usually are, and you’re just overall not 100% the best you. Breakfast replenishes the nutrients and sugar that your body needs. (WebMD)

farmer_choice

You don’t need to have a breakfast as yummy and big as this is. My promise to you: Just a little something to get your juices pumpin’ and you’ll feel amazing.

Bornstein, Adam. “Breakfast Is Not the Most Important Meal.” Born Fitness, 2015.
Zelman, Kathleen. “The Many Benefits of Breakfast.” WebMD. WebMD,  2016.

7 thoughts on “Breaking Fast

1. Jennafer Palmer

I love breakfast. But like the picture you have above with the eggs and bacon, I don’t usually have a breakfast like that unless I go to a place like Cracker Barrel, Bob Evans, I-Hop (usually not during breakfast time) or if its on the weekend and me and my boyfriend cook together. I’ma huge breakfast for dinner person but I am the opposite of you. Since coming to college I do not eat breakfast every morning, which does leave me in a mix form as the cranky dog in your picture above or feeling like I’m about to die of hunger by the time lunch time comes around. Having breakfast in the morning involves me having to get up at least an hour earlier than I usually would. Since coming to college I have fallen into a routine of waking up before its mandatory so that I can make it to class on time. I do believe having breakfast in the morning is a good start to the day and I need to at least try to have something to boost my energy. Here is a link to an article done by Consumer Report on why eating breakfast is important and what it does to your body when you do and don’t. http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/magazine/2014/10/why-eating-the-right-breakfast-is-so-important/index.htm

2. Jen Malespina

I’m a big supporter of eating breakfast. Yes, sometimes we do not always have enough time while rushing to make it to our first class but it is definitely something you should always strive to do–even if that means taking a quick granola bar to go. This post got me interested in learning more about the benefits of breakfast. You should check out http://www.todaysdietitian.com/newarchives/090111p44.shtml , I had no idea that having this meal could lead to a healthier diet overall!

3. Margaret Marchok

I used to be just like you- I would never eat breakfast! This would lead me to be extremely irritable. I would have such bad hunger headaches and I would never be able to pay attention in class. However, since coming to college, I not only have started eating breakfast, but I have started eating incredibly nutritious breakfasts. Having an apartment has been a blessing to me- I am able to make myself eggs and other protein-packed breakfast items to get me through the day. I am less tired and feel better about the day when I start the morning off right. This article lists some of the many benefits of eating breakfast- http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/many-benefits-breakfast#1. Keep up the good work!

4. Cristen Heaton

This post has never been more of an accurate description of me. I seriously skip breakfast every single day. If I feel like it I’ll eat some skinny pop or maybe some sun chips. Sometimes breakfast makes me sick to be honest, it’s like my body isn’t used to it. I am a huge fan of Starbucks but like you stated coffee doesn’t help you, it may wake you up some but for me it turns me into a jittery mess.

http://www.lifehack.org/articles/productivity/when-coffee-isnt-enough-science-says-you-should-try-coffee-nap-super-productive.html

The article above is a great read and I think you’ll find it funny!

5. Marielle Concetta Ravally

I 100% agree with your thoughts on the breakfast debate. I am a sophomore and last year I was guilty of skipping breakfast at least 3 times a week due to early classes and a tendency to hit the snooze button. I did not see a huge difference last year between days I didn’t eat and did, however this year I definitely notice the effects. Later classes this year, provide me with ample time in the morning to sit down and have a bowl of cereal everyday. I often use this time to organize myself for the day ahead. This small addition to my routine, keeps me more alert in classes, more focused on tasks at hand, and less reliant on daily Starbucks trips to get energy boosts. Your article raises some very good points on this issue. Thanks for sharing!

6. Olivia Anne Browne

Great post! This was extremely relatable for me because I am completely guilty of skipping breakfast; everyday. I am not a huge breakfast fan at all, the only thing you can get me to eat is some dry cereal or toast. I am a huge believer in coffee EVERY morning- and a lot of it!! I had posted about it yesterday check it out! I do think this post is completely accurate because following my classes all I want to do is find food and not talk to anyone until I do. You think I would learn being a sophomore to throw a granola bar in my bag but NO. I think for the future I am going to start making an effort to eat something small with my coffee before heading to class.
    Check out this article on a coffee only breakfast!!
    http://food-hacks.wonderhowto.com/how-to/coffee-only-breakfast-can-make-you-fatter-but-doesnt-have-0154923/

enjoy!

7. jap5827