Is Big Brother Hiding Cancer Cures?

When I was 5 years old, my baby cousin Kyle was diagnosed with Leukemia, a cancer in which cancerous blood cells overtake the bone marrow. Here a picture to give you a visual of Leukemia…

screen-shot-2016-09-14-at-7-52-38-pm

Photo: http://www.beveite.com/?p=198

I won’t get too much into the details of Leukemia because that’s beside the point I’m looking to make right now. When my cousin was diagnosed, it was a stressful and sad time for our family as we had never experienced something like this before. We all became very educated on the topic and looked immediately to support groups and organizations. Two years later he was cancer free, and he his now 15 years old and healthier than ever.

However, three years ago, my uncle was also diagnosed with Leukemia. He battled for two years, and last June, he passed away. It was the first family death I had experienced in my lifetime. Now it seems like our family is plagued by this cancer, and you could imagine that I’m extremely passionate about finding cures for all types of cancer. Ever since my cousin Kyle was diagnosed with cancer as a baby, my entire family has been involved in the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society which raises money for cancer research. When recently I came across a conspiracy article claiming that the government and drug companies might be preventing cancer treatments, I was filled with anger.  The reason for this, Camille Bautista states in the article, would be to protect the success of drug companies that significantly affect our economy. While this conspiracy did catch my eye and anger me, I knew it couldn’t be true.

Within seconds after reading the ridiculous conspiracy article, I found a Credible Hulk article that offered a very sensible disproval. Credible Hulk’s first note that caught my eye was that medical researchers, as well as government officials, can easily develop cancers as well. These people are just like us, susceptible to all diseases we are. How could they knowingly prevent cancer cures if them or a loved one had cancer? While this alone was enough for me to forget about the conspiracy, I kept reading. Another point The Credible Hulk made was that most researchers would be far more interested in the fame of finding a cure than the money protected by hiding it. Not to mention, the fame of finding a cure would come along with quite a lot of money; enough money that even a CEO would jump on the opportunity to expose the cures. Many scientists usually become scientists to find that one breakthrough idea that makes them famous. As I kept reading the article, I found one perfect point that sealed the deal for me. They mentioned that there is no possible way that this “hidden cure” could take place all across the world. Their explanation for this is because many countries, 32 to be exact, have universal healthcare paid for by the government. This would mean that drug companies would have no benefit of treating patients and hiding cures. In fact, these governments would push harder for cancer cures as it would open up space in the budget by reducing healthcare costs.

The final debunking factor that was mentioned in this article explained that hiding the cure would , without a doubt, be the more expensive root for companies. When it comes to money, companies looking for profit will ALWAYS take the cheapest route. In order for companies or the governments to keep scientists quiet, they would have to pay off every single one of them. Naturally, scientists would demand more and more money to keep secrets, and eventually it would become unimaginably expensive to keep these secrets.

This one article alone took that mind boggling conspiracy and nearly completely disproved it in the first few points. While technically this conspiracy can’t be 100% disproved, this article provided some serious evidence against the idea. While this conspiracy may be a load of garbage, always remember, big brother is watching….

screen-shot-2016-09-14-at-8-19-55-pm

Photo: http://reno-rambler.blogspot.com/2014/02/big-brother-is-watching-you-ride.html

http://www.crediblehulk.org/index.php/2015/07/02/10-reasons-why-hidden-cancer-cure-conspiracy-theories-fail/

https://letterpile.com/writing/100-Science-Topics-for-Research-Papers