Vaping, what’s bad about it?

Is vaping bad for you?

Though I am not a “vaper” or “vapist,” or whatever the cloud smokers call themselves, I was always interested in why people did such and what the actual effects are. I mean I know it is supposedly for one to quit smoking tobacco or using tobacco products after all the known cancer-causing-chemicals in such, but what are the ingredients in “vape juice” that make that a better alternative?

vaping

Picture found here

First off, what’s so bad about cigarettes that make’s people switch to vaping?

Cigarettes are bad due to the smoke it produces. Though the cigarettes have filters, it is still harmful for the lung to inhale such high temperature smoke. One would also be inhaling the substances in the typical wrapping it comes in, white-dyed cellulose paper. It is harmful for the ingredients it has within it, as it carries cancer causing substances such as aldehydes, preservatives, the ever-known carbon monoxide (which comes out of car exhaust!). All of these substances, along with some free radicals and heavy metals found in the cigarettes, cause various cancers within the gums, mouth, throat/esophagus, along with many more known cancers, with the most common of heart and lung cancer continuously killing the people of our world. Those substances also contribute to complications to pregnancy, dental issues, stroke, diabetes and many more other diseases, as the list goes on.

danger-cancerhazard-label

Picture found here

Smoking cigarettes goes off of what is called combustion, as it creates smoke at a high temperature. Vapor on the other hand goes off on what is called vaporization which, instead, creates some fume made up of its nicotine content (could vary), glycerol, and various flavors with different ingredients depending on which flavor is preferred. But people get the common misconception that it is just water vapor being released out of the “mod” that heats up the liquid, but it is clearly not water vapor. It is more publicly accepted, as to why people tend to switch over from smoking, or rather people pick it up for the look, but the question is, do they really know what they are getting in to?

Source of vaping information

So is vaping bad?

Well it is actually fairly difficult to tell if vaping is bad. It is relatively new to our generation, as it only came about in the last decade or so. The FDA actually only just recently started regulating vaporizers and its sub-groups, but only on its distribution, manufacturing, sales, and technology used to create the vapor, rather than the actual chemicals and potential harms they can bring. Due to such, we still do not have regulated substance, as all the listed chemicals and food additives required to make the inhalant are actually on FDA approved list.

Though it does not seem as dangerous as cigarettes, it’s looks can be deceiving. E-cigarettes and various vape juices are known to have the same aldehydes and other particles considered carcinogens that can lead to cancer. Those same substances can also effect brain development, especially early on within adolescence. The juice may comprise of chemicals and food additives that land on the FDA approved list of substances, but some substances are just not meant to be inhaled. It has a substance named “diacetyl” and remains popular within the fruity flavors of vapor liquids. Diacetyl is found in flavoring of theatre butter and even beer, and studies have shown it is safe to digest, but not safe to inhale, as it leads to bronchiolitis obliterans or better known as popcorn lungs. There are ways to avoid diacetyl, by picking the correct flavors, but it is still found in the majority of juices, 39/51 known flavors to be exact.

click_here_for_more_info_4

Picture found here

Let us not forget that each product contains nicotine, the addictive substance that has started the hook on cigarettes and this alternative of e-cigarettes/vaporizers. Nicotine toxicity is common among nicotine-addicts/users which leads to vomiting, respiratory issues, irregular breathing, rapid heartbeat and many more symptoms. Nicotine, with being highly addictive, creates a need for a user. That means there is an addiction to the product, and all the potentially dangerous substances along with it. As the addiction causes a need, it safe to say this anyone who picks up vaping or smoking, and wants to quit, will go through the common symptoms of withdrawal.

Source of vaping danger information

So what does this all mean?

It is widely known that smoking in general is harmful, as it is advertised with surgeon warnings on every product. But vaping… we still have a long way. There is a lack of LARGE and sensible experiments/studies that would lead to any strong evidence that it is harmful, though the few shared substances with tobacco are well known to be bad. Though with such substances, the amounts known within vapor juice compared to cigarettes and other tobacco products, are actually minuscule.

There is no positive about vaping. Use of such still has potential to be negative, as use correlated to a certain disease. But there is no saying with strong evidence.

Is vaping a healthy alternative to tobacco?

Answer: I wouldn’t say healthy, but there are much less known effects to cause harm in comparison. I recommend going cold turkey.

Is vaping bad for you?

Answer: Yes, it has certain carcinogens. But one must weigh the cost and benefits based on physical stance.

leovape-0-0

Picture found here

The most rational thing for one to do, just like the study of leaving the lights on at night, is reflect on the little studies that have been done on all the components of vaping, and to just stay away from it, as why should one risk health when such little effort is needed to stay away from it.

One thought on “Vaping, what’s bad about it?

1. Jeffrey Sherman

While I definitely agree with you that vaping is not “good” for you, is it not a better alternative to cigarettes and other known tobacco products such as chewing tobacco. While I am by no means a vaper, I used to live in a house where two of my older brothers smoked cigarettes daily. At one point, my brother of a similar age to me (19), was smoking almost TWO packs of cigarettes daily. He was by all means an adult and a college student capable of making his own decisions, and I did not judge him for his decision. But my prospective of vaping changed after he decided to switch from smoking packs of Marlborough’s daily to the flavored nicotine found in vapes. He did not smell like the potent smoke I became generally used too, and I generally believed that the carcinogens found in vape pens was less harmful than those in cigarettes. However, it does worry me that chemicals being placed into these various flavors aren’t being regulated. This website, stopcancer.org, (http://www.stopcancerfund.org/uncategorized/are-e-cigarettes-safer-than-regular-cigarettes/), believes E-cigarettes are just as dangerous as cigarettes due to some of these chemicals. Perhaps vaping will be more safe in the future when the FDA enacts legislation that forces them to use healthier alternatives to that of anti-freeze and other substances, but for now, I will be avoiding both of my brothers choices and avoid inhaling something too frequently altogether.