Can You Hear Me Now?

One of my favorite things to do is to go to concerts, but is it safe for me to go to small venues that have such large speakers? I am okay now, but I want to still be able to hear when I’m older. Ever since I was young my mom would tell me not to listen to music in my headphones too loud, but I never knew why.

If someone experiences loud noises for any amount of time, they can suffer from Noise-Induced Hearing Loss. This video explains how the hearing loss happens. The hearing loss might happen right away or a little later down the road. The hearing loss can last a day or a whole lifetime. It also can happen in both ears or just one. One in seven people suffer from noise induced hearing loss, so it is definitely a problem. Loud noises such as heavy city traffic, motorcycles, iPhone music on max volume, sirens, firecrackers, and firearms can cause damage.

hearing

It is okay though. Noise-Induced Hearing Loss can be prevented. The first thing someone can do to try and reduce their chances of losing their hearing is to try and prevent themselves from experiencing very loud noises or loud noises for a long time. Some people such as construction workers are subject to loud noises at work everyday. That is why it is very important that they wear their protective gear such as their earplugs. The same rule goes for lawn mowing. Both kids and adults should protect their hearing when cutting the grass.

Our hearing is important through out our whole lives. It is very important that we protect it because it is a very important part of our main type of communication. Imagine how much harder your life would be if you couldn’t hear. This problem can easily be prevented as long as you are a little more cautious about your environment and the sounds around you.

5 thoughts on “Can You Hear Me Now?

1. Mark Paterra

I am a person who tends to listen to music to loud in my headphones and I also go to a lot of concerts. I have had the worry of losing my hearing and have looked into it before. Something interesting I came across were earbuds that claimed to “make music safer”. They seemed interesting to me but I always wondered if the science behind the claim was accurate. I never made the investment so I guess I won’t find out anytime soon.

2. crn5144

Thomas and Cassandra, I can recall after the football game two weeks ago, my ears were ringing for hours. I am also curious if this ringing was the sound of my eardrums repairing themselves or if they were still trying to take in the insane amount of noise from earlier. I noticed that a quick nap seemed to quiet my ears. Since sleep is usually very healing, could this ringing be temporary damage to the eardrums?

3. Derrek Koblinsky

Thomas, I found this article very interesting because there was a couple concerts that I attended this past summer and one primarily did leave me with hearing loss for a few hours. I went and saw RiFF RAFF at a venue called the Rex Theatre in Pittsburgh. After being in the front row for a couple hours I left the concert with barely and hearing, which means it was a pretty good night? It is my understanding that you will temporarily lose hearing or have impaired hearing so that you cannot cause any further damage to the ear drums. Do not take my word for that though.

4. Alexander Nicholas Cautela

Right now I’m reading a biography of the legendary British rock band The Who. Pete Townshend, who has lost much hearing during his noise-polluted career in music, claims that it was not necessarily the blaring Marshall Stacks at his concerts which damaged his hearing, but in fact the noise-cancelling headphones which he incessantly listened to throughout his career in producing and creating music that contributed primarily to his hearing loss. Longtime Beatles producer George Martin can vouch for this too. The Beatles are not known for particular loud music, and George did not play with the band himself, so it leads us to the possibility that prolonged exposure to direct noise worsened his hearing. (Townshend now speaks out about how to prevent Tinnitus–the ringing sensation heard when no sound is present). It may not be the loud rock concerts that causes your hearing to lose its effectiveness.

5. Cassandra N Kearns

After concerts, football games, or loud parties, I always find that my hearing seems very muffled. I always wondered if my hearing was being hurt during those scenarios or if my body was just reacting and repairing itself. Have you ever heard the idea that when you hear a ‘ringing’ in your ear, it means that you just lost a decibel of hearing capabilities? Do you think that that is true? I am not sure if that is just a myth or a proven fact.