Why are Artificial Flavors so Addictive?

As I sit here in the Hub, I’m craving everything unhealthy – Goldfish, Pringles, mac n cheese, pizza rolls…EVERYTHING. I have come to terms that the freshman 15 is a real thing and I’m experiencing it right now, and my junk food cravings aren’t helping me avoid it. Something keeps bringing me back to these fattening foods, and I’m convinced it’s the artificial flavors that are packed into all these snacks.

I have never been one for healthy eating and trying to change my habits in college isn’t the easiest thing to do. I have always wondered why I don’t crave healthy food, but at any given moment I could eat a whole bag of chips or a sleeve of cookies. So why is this?

According to Seattle Organic Restaurants, immediate satisfaction is displayed after consuming junk food with additives and preservatives. Businesses will spend an abundance of money on research to find the perfect combination of artificial flavors to pair with your taste buds. Once you’re hooked, it’s a challenge going back to healthy eating. I found out that salt, sugar, and fat can be just as addicting as drugs or alcohol. Once something with sugar, salt, or fat goes into your body, there is an instant sense of bliss that is activated in the middle of the brain – leaving you want more. Although the junk food tastes good, there are many drawbacks to constantly eating unhealthy.

High blood pressure, weight gain, and heart disease can derive when the kidneys cannot get rid of excessive sodium levels. Salty chips are just as addicting as sugary soda. Soda drinkers can go through withdrawal after trying to give up the sweet drink, and even become depressed or anxious, according to Seattle Organic Restaurants. Even soy milk has been noted to cause migraines if someone is trying to stop drinking it. No matter what habit you’re trying to break, your body will face side effects and withdrawal from the transition.

One of my problems is that if I eat something salty, I crave something sweet right after, and vise versa. I always try to convince myself out of it or grab a piece of fruit, but the ice cream or gummy worms always win. Since the combination of salt, fat, and sugar all at the same time gives your brain and body an immense sense of pleasure, the food industry can work its magic to leave you wanting more – every single time.

Referring to an article posted on lewrockwell.com called Why Is Junk Food So Addictive?, it is stated that sugar can be more addictive than cocaine. Not only do corporations get you hooked by using sugar, but also narrowing their focus on taste, the texture/consistency of the food while being consumed, and the macronutrient content of the food. They know the exact way to combine the ingredients so you finish the bag of Dorito’s in one sitting.

Consuming less junk food will help your body crave less of it (obviously) – but for now, I’ll realistically continue to gain more weight.

This photo is junk food, specifically refined sugar, from the website seattleorganicrestaurant.com.

One thought on “Why are Artificial Flavors so Addictive?

1. Astrid Andrea Navas Grijalva

Personally, I am not the biggest fan of Artificial flavors, don’t get me wrong I live for some Doritos and maybe candy as well. However your article made me think of Sodas. I HATE sodas. And it is not (just) because I know that they aren’t healthy for me but I just truly despise the feeling and sensation it gives. I don’t like the way the gas makes my throat feel, I almost feel sick when I drink it. So guess I don’t agree that all junk food can be addictive to everyone because after one sip of coke I am left with a unsatisfying feeling.