Will Trump’s wall effect wildlife? And if yes, how so?

Donald Trump makes a face at his caucus night rally in Des Moines. (REUTERS/Scott Morgan)

Source for the picture is here

There has been a lot of debate over the wall Donald Trump plans to build if he is elected president. A lot of people aren’t considering the wall’s effect on the wildlife. Animals are affected by artificial structures in general such as highways, train tracks, buildings, and yes… walls. According to the BBC, only 40% of the border is fenced. Trump wants to make the entire bordered sealed with a concrete wall. In the American- Mexico border, there are numerous animals that need to cross the border in order to mate with those that are genetically different. The BBC also said, this concrete wall that Trump wants to build will effect animals like road runners and coyotes all the way to low flying birds.  Also, according to the Washington Post, Trump wants to make the wall anywhere from 30 to 55 feet tall.

Personally, I think that this wall a excessive. Do we need a 30-55 foot, solid concrete wall that covers the entire US- Mexican border? A rational personal would say no because it requires an immense amount of money, time, and tarnishes the relationship between the United State and Mexico. Between helping the wildlife and the solving political issues, a better plan would be to fence the entire border instead of just 40%. Yes, this will effect the wildlife, but in my opinion we need to think about the common good for American citizens before we start worrying about animals.

Here’s a short video that is just related to building a wall and how it effects wildlife. This is NOT related to the wall that Trump wants to build, but I think it is a good example of the potential repercussions Trump’s wall could cause.

2 thoughts on “Will Trump’s wall effect wildlife? And if yes, how so?

1. Jordan Smith

The wall would be difficult to build for another reason. John Oliver touched on the subject here, (and I highly recommend the video, its hilarious) and the Rio Grande river runs along the US, Mexican border. In fact, back when Bush was president, he signed a bill to fencing along the border. The fence had to be so far away from the rive and as a result went right through the middle of a golf course thatw as next to the river. Who knows how the wall would either impact the river or impact businesses around the river.

2. Casey Andrew Schaum

I never thought about how Trump’s supposed wall would effect wildlife. After putting some thought into it, it is definitely a huge possibility. Now that I know that I am even more against the idea of the wall. As you said, that would only tarnish our relationship with Mexico. Thanks for shedding some light on this subject as I never would have thought about it if it wasn’t for you. Here’s a video of what it would take to be build the wall, and God I hope it never happens. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkSo0QQLUfE