Cuffing Season Blues?

Since we are now transition into Autumn, the temporary bae(a person who is not your official significant other but you have interest in them) search is making its way to the surface. There seems to be an unspoken tradition amongst the millennials where there’s a craving for a partner to bear the frigate weather conditions coming our way. This day in age, the young people consider this time period as the cuffing season. Logic is, why buy a sweater for sweater weather when you can fine someone to make you warm for the same affect, at no cost.
Recently it seems like lovebirds are inhabiting my Facebook news feed. More and more of my friends are declaring and publicizing their new relationships for their friends and families to see. With the increase of love connections occurring, the pessimistic singleton statuses are also arising. There seems to be a correlation between the change in seasons and sudden romance occurring in the younger age group. Is it that easy for teenagers to fall in love? Or is the weather actually affecting the way teenagers think and act towards falling in love? Can we differentiate from love and lust?

screen-shot-2014-09-04-at-2-01-01-pm
                There seems to be such a high demand for a relationship during the winter, but will getting a significant other make the pessimistic singleton statuses go away? People generally seem to be more upset or depressed as the seasons change from warm and sunny, to cold and dark. According to Dr. Maryanne Fisher from Psychology Today, in the winter, it’s hard to attract people because a lot of people are covered up and tend to act dull or mundane due to the decrease in temperature. People tend to be more depressed in the winter because the lack of sunlight which can also be the cause of lack of Dopamine. She states that Dopamine, a chemical responsible for the affects of your emotions and afflictions is the main cause of falling in love. This chemical makes you feel jubilant and joyful. It’s usually released when encountering a loved one. You also have the same release when doing or experiencing things that make you happy. To make up for the lack of Dopamine in the winter, some people try to find the source of happiness through love and companionship.

I’m here to tell you that there’s no pressure for getting into a relationship. Especially so fast in college, enjoy your time being young and whenever the right person and right time comes then you shall let your Dopamine release for that person. Until that time, occupy yourself with a good book, hanging out with friends, etc whatever makes you happy during this time of year.

Photo Link: http://www.statisticbrain.com/facebook-relationship-status-statistics/

2 thoughts on “Cuffing Season Blues?

1. Jon Shanfelder

Seasonal affective disorder, aka: SAD (how ironic), has always piqued my interest. It seems almost like something out of a book that the changes in color and temperature in our environment would actually effect the way we feel and operate as human beings. I thought the upcoming cold weather would make us reclusive and stubborn rather than anxious to find our true love. Although now that I look back on my friends’ past relationships, that makes a lot of sense. Here I have included a link that further details SAD: http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/seasonal-affective-disorder/basics/definition/con-20021047

2. pkr5098

I thought this was a really funny topic to write on and it was well done. I agree with you, I feel like on social media, all of a sudden everybody starts to get into relationships. Maybe with the change in seasons people feel like they need to bring somebody home for the holidays like Thanksgiving or Christmas to show off to their families. I don’t know, I am just thinking, but I do see your point with the direct relationship between the change of seasons and the increase of people getting together.