Bad Effects of Milk

Every morning, the first thing I do is pour myself a bowl of cereal with ice cold milk along with a cup of coffee with half and half cream. Milk is a necessary part of my diet and I can’t imagine not having any dairy. From a young age, we have been taught that milk contains important vitamins and sources of calcium that is vital to intake. However, it is now being seen that milk is not as good for you as what you’ve been told.

In the article, “Milk is Dangerous for your Health”, by Doctor Mark Hyman, it is shown that milk might have more bad effects on your body than good. The article shares Dr. David Ludwig and Dr. Walter Willett’s findings that milk lacks the health benefits that the government promotes. Their studies found that milk can cause a wide variety of different problems from acne, constipation and weight gain to extreme effects such as cancer (Hyman 2016). Milk has also been found to cause sinus congestion, allergic reactions, diarrhea, and a lack of energy. In addition, Hyman explains how dairy contains proteins that are harmful to the body, such as casein, a phosphoprotein, according to Merriam-Webster. Many genetically modified proteins, such as casein, can cause many harmful diseases (Hyman 2016).

Even organic milk, that is not genetically modified, can be dangerous to your health. Hyman recommends some alterations in peoples’ dairy filled diets, such as taking a break from consuming dairy for a few weeks to see is any health issues get resolved. He also suggests having any dairy that does not come from a cow (Hyman 2016). It is crazy to think that milk can have so many bad effects on your health and body. From now on, I know that I am going to try to consume less dairy from cows and try maybe soy milk or almond milk.

http://drhyman.com/blog/2013/10/28/milk-dangerous-health/

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/casein

http://az616578.vo.msecnd.net/files/2016/05/08/635982769649978790925639291_Glass-of-milk-2009.png

7 thoughts on “Bad Effects of Milk

1. Bernarda Jarrin Alvear

I am lactose intolerant. I did not know why I become intolerant because I drinked so much milk, ate a lot of cheese, and always have fresh smoothies with yogurt. My doctor told me that the amount of people who are lactose intolerant have increased due to the amount of modifications that are now done to milk. When I found out that I was lactose intolerant I looked it up and this is what I found out. Here is a link of an article that explains how your lactose tolerance gets worse as you get older. There are also other factors that affect lactose intolerance, for example some ethnicities are prone to have it. The article is very interesting, I hope you like it.

2. Rachel Marie Aul

I also heard recently that milk doesn’t contain as many vitamins as most people think it does. Milk, most notably known for its richness in vitamin C, does not have a lot compared to some other foods. This article explains this in a little more depth: http://www.milkfacts.info/Milk%20Composition/VitaminsMinerals.htm
    I remember my high school cafeterias had posters with celebrities on them saying “got milk?” I guess because we have just been told our whole lives that milk extremely healthy and nutritious, we believe it.

3. Eddy Lee

This was very interesting to read as someone who eats milk and cereal for breakfast almost everyday. After reading this, I am probably gonna decrease my milk consumption and see If there are any noticeable changes. I feel that I would probably not be able to give up milk completely because it is too good. Many of of the foods I enjoy include milk as one of the ingredients which makes it even more difficult.

4. pkr5098

I remember always being told to drink my milk because it builds strong bones. I have always liked milk but would drink it once in a while or have it with my cereal like you. I actually agree with these other comments, I have heard almond milk is good for you, so I guess I should try that sometime.

5. Emma Murphy

I have never been a fan of milk. I often feel like I’m depriving myself of nutrients and vitamin D that milk can provide, but I just could never stomach the taste. After reading this post I now feel better about the absence of milk in my diet.

6. mzf15

I had a personal trainer in high school who also told me to drink almond milk. He claimed that regualr milk was TOXIC. I can totally realte to this post. At first I couldn’t believe that someone would go against the norm and say milk is bad. I agree with your blog post 100%.

7. Daniella Cappello

I highly recommend almond, cashew or coconut milk, especially since you’re a female. Many of my doctors, and even my mom constantly nags me about it, have expressed that soy is not the best thing for a woman to put into her body. Switching over to the occasional glass of almond, cashew, or coconut milk is a healthy and beneficial option.