Does Cold Weather Make You Sick?

For years many people have believed that being out in colder weather increases your chances of becoming sick. It does appear to be true that more people are “sniffling” and coughing in the cold winter season. Also, flu season falls in colder months and peaks in January and February, which are the coldest months of the year. For many people, this certainly raises questions as to why many people get sick in the cold months of the year. Could the cold air itself be the result of this?

Woman using tissue

NO! It is a common fact that germs and bacteria get you sick, not the air. However, there are multiple explanations that can explain more people getting sick in the colder months.

First, scientists have discovered that cold air does help the flu virus flourish, but is not the cold air itself that gets you sick. In a study done by the National Institutes of Health, they found that in colder temperatures, the outside most layer of the virus hardens and becomes more of a gel or rubber like surface. This allows it to travel from person to person much easier in cooler temperatures because it can brace the elements. Adding onto this, they also discovered that in hotter temperatures that same outer layer turns into more of a liquid substance, which simply cannot survive in the elements of nature. Further, this explains why flu season exists in the colder months of the year.

cold_23fadcf6f6d58c37_65278ceb655864ee_c86fbbfdc5a44940

More recently, another study could also explain why more people get sick with the flu in the colder months. In this new study, NIH researches compared data over the last 31 years. They were searching for some type of correlation between the number of deaths from the influenza virus (flu) and the levels of humidity. They actually found something. The researchers discovered that before a flu outbreak, the absolute humidity levels in the air fell. This suggests that in dryer air, the virus is transmitted much easier allowing it to infect more people. Further, this also helps explain why there are more flu outbreaks in the winter because typically in more colder regions, the air is dryer in the winter.

There are also more obvious reasons as to why more people get sick when it’s cold out. When it gets cold outside, most people stay inside. This is a problem because we often are around more people inside where air is being recirculated so it is easier to become in contact with germs and bacteria. It is also easier for the bacteria to be transmitted indoors because it does not have to withstand the elements of nature. So, even though it may seem like colder air causes people to get sick, science has been able to prove otherwise. Another classic example of correlation does not equal causation.

https://www.nih.gov/news-events/nih-research-matters/dry-air-may-spur-flu-outbreaks

https://www.nih.gov/news-events/nih-research-matters/flu-virus-fortified-colder-weather

3 thoughts on “Does Cold Weather Make You Sick?

1. Christina Rae Locurto

I really enjoyed reading this blog post, especially because my parents have nagged me for years about this exact topic.They keep telling me that I have to bundle up or else the cold air is going to make me sick. I’m glad science has finally disproved this common myth about cold air causing sickness. I would say this is a good example of a null hypothesis, because nothing is going on. We (the world) believes that the cold causes sickness, when in fact the cold causes nothing to happen. I would be interested in seeing the specifics of the studies conducted, or even performing my own experiment on this topic. It would be extremely easy to accomplish, and I would have my own data to back up the facts. I would probably conduct a randomized control experiment, and compared two groups: one group that goes in the cold for an hour and one group who stays inside. I would then compare the two groups and see which group develops more sickness. I would be interested to see how my results compare to the other experiment results of the scientists.

2. Maria Jean Conti

I really liked how you summed everything up with correlation not equalling causation. “Wear a coat so you don’t get sick” is something my mom has always yelled at me when I’m running out the door. So naturally its surprising to me to see that this is incorrect. This is a link to an article that talks about how hot humid weather actually forces germs to drop to the ground. https://weather.com/health/news/cold-air-fosters-the-spread-of-cold-germs