Do what your parents say and… GET A JOB!

Of course when we go to college our parents know we are going to be on our own and spending money like it grows from a tree. Their one suggestion to you when you go off to college is… get a job. This way you can help pay your bull and have some spending money on the weekends. But is there more benefits to just the money? Studies show that having a job also increases your critical thinking and your overall performance in the classroom.

http://lajoyalink.com/4188/connecting-the-pack/balancing-work-and-school/

When I first came to state college I was stressed and the last thing on my mind was having a job to worry about. But once I became comfortable in the area and environment so I decided it was time to get a job and it was a great decision. Just as the results found in the study, my job provided my day to day life with structure, organization and discipline.   By working between ten to nineteen hour a week a job can provide you with structure for your day as well as a way to make time for your school work. Having a job also entitles you to have discipline and keep your school work and work schedule organized.

On the other hand, If too much time is used it can create a stressful situation and potential harm to your academic career. If you work over 20 hours as well as being a full time student, it may leave you with barely any time for school work and of down time. Having a full load of school work on top of working multiple hours a week can make get behind on your school work is a major negativity effect on your grades. There is also more responsibility that you must undergo while dealing with both situations. Obligations might overlap and there is a high possibility that you will have to pick and choose the one that is most important at that time. This leads to lost opportunities and potential negative effects on your education.

In my mind, I think having a job while being a full time student has both its positive and negative attributes. What do you think about having a job while being a student? Is it worth it? Or do you think it is more stress than reward?

DUNDES, L. & MARX, J. (2006). BALANCING WORK AND ACADEMICS IN COLLEGE: WHY DO STUDENTS WORKING 10 TO 19 HOURS PER WEEK EXCEL?. Journal Of College Student Retention: Research, Theory And Practice, 8(1), 107-120. doi:10.2190/7ucu-8f9m-94qg-5wwq

3 thoughts on “Do what your parents say and… GET A JOB!

1. Cole Donald Rogers

Having a counter argument in your blog was powerful as it reiterated what everyone was thinking while reading the first half of your blog. In my personally opinion, just for myself, having a job would be beneficial because I could carry the workload of both while excelling at both as well. I think what it comes down to is more or so all about who the question is directed to. There is no right or wrong answer it is all based on opinion and with that being said here is an article detailing the conclusion to the question “is having a job in college worth it? ” which also includes more specifics and professional advise:
    Consider Pros and Cons of Working in College
    http://www.usnews.com/education/best-colleges/articles/2012/09/13/consider-pros-and-cons-of-working-in-college

2. Arunima Sthapak

I think it is greatly beneficial to have a job, especially in college. I too am planning on getting a job in the next semester. I think having a job exposes us to the real world and helps us transition from school life to a working one. It’s always good to have some experience under our belts before diving into something new and inevitable.

3. Brett Alan Merritt

I had a job for the last two semesters, and I feel like it did add structure to my daily routine. I only worked 10 hours a week, but it was just enough to give me some extra spending money while leaving me enough time to do school work. I would like to see the statistics of college students with jobs and the correlating GPA’s. I agree that having a job that doesn’t make you work too much is nice.