Does Chronic Stress Cause Eating Disorder?

Eating disorders, psychological disorders shown through abnormal eating habits, is a common and grievous problem that appears more and more on college students. Another usual problem that most college students tends to have is chronic stress. So are these two problems happen randomly or relatively? Does one cause another or they do not affect each other at all?

After doing some researches online and relating to my own experiences, I came up with the conclusion that chronic stress do cause eating disorders. Lots of studies showed that stressful things and works such as school works and relationships, bad illness or excessive use of drugs will all have huge influences on eating disorders. I find that most of my stress come from three main parts: difficulty in school, difficulty in relationships and homesickness.

stock-photo-illustration-of-a-fat-boy-eating-on-a-white-background-132814127

When school first started, and you just moved into your dorm, this is usually the time when we all started to feel alone and to get homesickness because we were all unfamiliar with the new environment and had no new friends. I had a really difficult time during the beginning of the school year under the pressure of dealing with things independently and making new friends. While feeling alone, eating a lot seems to be a good method of releasing the stress because it gives us that satisfaction and stopping us from thinking about unhappy things.

Once school started and everything got back in track, we started to feel the pressure and stress from school such as grades, homework and exams. The first few weeks were actually fine, but once midterm week came, this is the time when my stress started to appear. I usually express my chronic stress through depression, anxiety and sickness. I started not showing up to class and feeling sad and lazy, and I find the easiest and fastest way to release my stress is through eating. So I started to eat a lot of junk food instead of healthy meals.

When I say difficulty in Relationships, I do not mean difficulty with my boyfriend but I do not even have one. What I am saying is the pressure that comes from couples around me. I find that most college students are couples which depressed me a lot. In this case, depression do cause eating disorder.

However, there are all kinds of connections between chronic stress and eating disorders.

1.  https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&rlz=1C1WLXB_enUS526US526&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=eating%20disorder%20definition

2. http://www.mirasol.net/mood-disorders/chronic-stress.php

One thought on “Does Chronic Stress Cause Eating Disorder?

1. Alex Felton

I found your post extremely relatable to your audience. Stress does increase the likelihood for eating disorders. Being in a new environment is a stress-inducing task which also brings out other disorders including OCD, anxiety symptoms, and depression. Treating the cause for the anxiety and stress would also help the eating disorder as the two are linked like you stated. This USA Today article gives great help for dealing with college stress: http://college.usatoday.com/2015/10/29/college-student-stress/