yoga and science ?

imgresPicture:http://www.kpfit.club/hatha-yoga/

Many of my peers like to go to weekly yoga. All I know is that it helps to stretch the body but I have wondered is there any science involved. I wanted to get more information about yoga and a possible answer to my question. I have found after researching online that yoga “Current research suggests that a carefully adapted set of yoga poses may reduce low-back pain and improve function.” (1) I find it very helpful that studies are being done in order to find out all that yoga has to offer to people. It also says that “Other studies also suggest that practicing yoga (as well as other forms of regular exercise) might improve quality of life; reduce stress; lower heart rate and blood pressure; help relieve anxiety, depression, and insomnia; and improve overall physical fitness, strength, and flexibility.” (1)  This is very good news meaning people can get help without having to necessarily drink medication. The source even states this from the results of the studies. It says “Conclusions from another 2011 study of 313 adults with chronic or recurring low-back pain suggested that 12 weekly yoga classes resulted in better function than usual medical care. “(1)But this cannot rule out the possibility that it does not work. The article goes on to say that “A 2011 review of the literature reports that few published studies have looked at yoga and arthritis, and of those that have, results are inconclusive.” (1) This confirms the suspicion that it cannot be completely ruled that yoga might not be the best alternative for some people that have arthritis and other conditions such as that. Other sites go into detail how yoga affects our brains.  In one site it says “ it moderates the cortisol hormone keeping the individual calm.”(2)And “After conducting MRI scans, scientists have discovered that people practicing yoga have more gray matter (brain cells) than the non-practitioners do.”(2)

imgresPicture:Yogasphere.london

Having this grey area helps expand the brain according to the site and helps the person since they have more room for “mental mapping” in our bodies.  This sounds fascinating but I still would want more science behind yoga. When searching for the science behind yoga most of the websites were not very reliable sources that weren’t overly biased or trying to sell something. I hope there can be more studies done and science related evidence for yoga.

1. “Yoga: In Depth | NCCIH.” U.S National Library of Medicine. U.S. National Library of Medicine, n.d. Web. 18 Nov. 2016.
  2. Conclusions from another 2011 study of 313 adults with chronic or recurring low-back pain suggested that 12 weekly yoga classes resulted in better function than usual medical care.

5 thoughts on “yoga and science ?

1. Christopher Ronkainen

I loved your topic! However I think you poorly executed it. While reading your article I found it very intriguing that certain yoga poses may reduce low back pain considering I have issues with pain myself. I think you should have taken a more narrow approach and looked at yogas effects on mental health for example instead of just science done on yoga. While doing some broad research, I came across this cool article about the benefits of yoga and I think you’d find it interesting.

2. Asaad Saleh Salim Al Busaidi

Sorry I forget to include the link.

Hi,
    I think that your post topic is interesting, however, I think that it would have been better to summarize or paraphrase some of the quotes you included in the post. In addition, I think that it it would really be helpful if you included some stories of your friends who practice yoga on how yoga is useful to the human body, as it could also help prove the alternative hypothesis, as Andrew said in class, Anecdotes are powerful. I also think that you should include more detail on the studies you included, such as the things measured, how they were done, and whether or not these studies are experimental so that we know how good the studies are. In addition, I agree with you that the claim of the usefulness of yoga is something that science needs to study more and do more experiments or observations, as many claim that yoga is one of the best ways to relax. However, as you mentioned in the post, it seems that not a lot science has been discovered to be involved in yoga. I myself was thinking of taking a yoga class at Penn State, but because I was not really convinced about it’s usefulness to my body, I changed my mind. However, Your post has made me think about taking the class again and has encouraged me to do further researcher into this topic. I found that most studies suggest that most of the benefits are mental benefits that are involved with relaxation ( link is provided at the end). However, there were also some studies studies that say that yoga can also help reduce weight and have provides good evidence. ( link is provided at the end)

Benefits of yoga
    http://www.medindia.net/yoga-lifestyle/yoga-importance.htm
    Yoga and weight loss
    http://www.builtlean.com/2013/03/06/yoga-weight-loss/

3. Asaad Saleh Salim Al Busaidi

Hi,
    I think that your post topic is interesting, however, I think that it would have been better to summarize or paraphrase some of the quotes you included in the post. In addition, I think that it it would really be helpful if you included some stories of your friends who practice yoga on how yoga is useful to the human body, as it could also help prove the alternative hypothesis, as Andrew said in class, Anecdotes are powerful. I also think that you should include more detail on the studies you included, such as the things measured, how they were done, and whether or not these studies are experimental so that we know how good the studies are. In addition, I agree with you that the claim of the usefulness of yoga is something that science needs to study more and do more experiments or observations, as many claim that yoga is one of the best ways to relax. However, as you mentioned in the post, it seems that not a lot science has been discovered to be involved in yoga. I myself was thinking of taking a yoga class at Penn State, but because I was not really convinced about it’s usefulness to my body, I changed my mind. However, Your post has made me think about taking the class again and has encouraged me to do further researcher into this topic.

4. Jeremy Perdomo

Dear lkr5215,

I had a little trouble understanding the purpose of the article because usually the blog has an introduction paragraph that makes it a little clearer than yours did; nonetheless, the article was reasonably interesting and kept my attention. I especially liked how you incorporated a quote to add emphasis to the information you were trying to convey; personally, I use quotes whenever I can for this very purpose!

Also, I noticed that your article seemed to revolve around the physical effects that yoga had on the body, but I was naturally drawn to the idea of the emotional and psychological aspects of yoga, instead. I often hear people say that yoga is what seems to bring them to a state of relaxation and comfort, almost as if it calms the body. So, I wondered if this was true, and to my surprise, it is often used as a meditation technique! Read this article, where it explains that millions of people do yoga for a number of different benefits:

http://bembu.com/benefits-of-yoga

5. Julia R Martini

I love your idea for this post! I posted a blog about yoga and the science involved with it physically. You have good evidence to support your claim and the picture is very cute. Just one thing I would change is the quotes used in it. Summarize these articles in your own words, it makes it a lot easier to read if you do it that way. I would organize it a little more as well, add an introduction, conclusion etc. Other than that I think you have a good start to this post. There’s a lot on yoga and it’s benefits out there so you shouldn’t have a problem finding more information on it.
    This is long but it has some good points on the science of yoga. Check it out, It will benefit this post A LOT.