Skip to content
Graduate Students at Penn State
- Garrett DuCharme. Project: Hydrogen Dynamics on the Surface of Oxides. (Ph.D. in Physics candidate since August 2016)
- Brett Green. Project: Optical Conductivity and Landau Levels in Bilayer Graphene. (Ph.D. in Physics candidate since August 2015)
- Jacob Robbins. Project: Transport in 2D Materials, Boron Doped Graphene. (Ph.D. in Physics candidate since August 2015)
- Mohamed Umar. Project: Transport in Metal/Carbon Nanotube Composites. (Ph.D. in Physics candidate since August 2014)
- Stephen Thornton. Project: Transport in Tight Binding Models (Penn State, class of 2018, working with us since the Fall of 2016)
- Rachel Ratvasky. Project: Interaction of Water Molecules in Carbon Nanotubes. (Penn State, class of 2021, working with us since the Fall of 2017)
- Ajay Chaudhari, Post-doctoral scholar, Physics Department, Penn State from June 2004 to July 2006. Currently: Professor and Head, Department of Physics of The Institute of Science, Mumbai, India.
- Cüneyt Berkdemir, Post-doctoral scholar, Physics Department, Penn State from December 2009 to July 2012. Currently: Professor of Physics at Erciyes University, Turkey.
- Xiaojiao San, Post-doctoral scholar, Physics Department, Penn State from August 2011 to August 2012. Currently: Lecturer at Harbin Institute of Technology, Harbin, China.
Former Graduate Students
- Javier Fuhr, 2001, Ph.D. Physics, Instituto Balseiro. Currently: Centro Atómico Bariloche, Argentina.
- Griselda N. García, 2002, Ph.D. Physics, Instituto Balseiro. Currently: Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile, Chile.
- William C. Moore II, 2008, M.Sc. Physics, Penn State. Currently: STEM coordinator for Thales Academy, Raleigh, NC.
- Ning Shen, 2011, Ph.D. Physics, Penn State. Thesis Title: “Study of Chemical Doping of Graphene on Amorphous Silica, Electronic Properties of the Graphene-Fluorine Superlattice, and Interactions of Graphene with Atomic Fluorine”
Currently: Quant Analyst, CitiBank.
- Nitin Kumar, 2012, Ph.D. Physics, Penn State. Thesis Title: “Ab Initio Molecular Dynamics Study of Water Dissociation and Proton Dynamics on Rutile and Cassiterite Surfaces”
Currently: Research Assistant Professor, Colorado School of Mines.
- Alejandro Suarez, 2012, Ph.D. Physics, Penn State. Thesis Title: “Theory and Simulation of Atomic Hydrogen, Fluorine, and Oxygen on Graphene”
Currently: Assistant Program Manager, Computational & Information Science & Engineering (CISE) Directorate, National Science Foundation.
- Ivan Iordanov, 2012, Ph.D. Physics, Penn State. Thesis Title: “Theoretical Modelling of Photoelectron Spectroscopy of Transition Metal Clusters”
Currently: Research Physicist at Edgewood Chemical and Biological Center.
- Sangzi Liang, November 2015, Ph.D. Physics, Penn State. Thesis Title: “Electronic Transport in Functionalized Graphene: From Strong Chemisorption to Weakly Bonded Adsorbates”
Currently: Data Scientist, Dupont Pioneer, Des Moines, IA.
- Piali Aditya, November 2015, Ph.D. Physics, Penn State. Thesis Title: “Direct fluorination of graphene: A theoretical and computational study of its formation and of the resulting magnetic and electronic properties”
Currently: Faculty at Anne Arundel Community College, Arnold, MD.
- Mark DelloStritto, February 2017, Ph.D. Physics, Penn State. Thesis Title: “Modelling the Structure and Dynamics of H-Bond Networks at Oxide-Water Interfaces: From Neutron Spectroscopy to Sum-Frequency Generation”
Currently: Post-doctoral Scholar at Temple University.
Former Undergraduate Students
- Johanna “Pokie” Olson, 2004, REU Student, Penn State. BS in Physics, Saint Olaf College in 2008. Ph.D. in Computational Astrophysics, University of Notre Dame in 2015. Currently: Data Scientist at American Family Insurance.
- Denise Nemenz, 2005, REU Student, Penn State. BS in Computer Science from University of Southern California in 2006. Masters of Engineering in Computer Science from Penn State in 2008. Currently: Research Engineer at the Applied Physics Lab of John Hopkins University.
- Robert Skarbek, 2005, REU Student, Penn State. BS in Physics from Penn State in 2006. MS in Geosciences from Penn State in 2008. Ph.D. in Geosciences at the University of Oregon in 2012. Currently: Postdoctoral position in Geological Sciences at University of Oregon.
- Ben Winchester, 2005, REU Student, Penn State. BS in Computational Science from Asbury University, Wilmore, KY in 2007. Ph.D. in Materials Science and Engineering from Penn State in 2012. Currently: Sandia National Laboratory, Albuquerque, NM.
- George Malek, 2006, REU Student and Honor Thesis Advisor for the Schreyer’s Honors College, Penn State. BS in Physics from Penn State in 2007. Currently: Running his own music recording studio in LA.
- Kevin Rybicki, 2008, REU Student and Honor Thesis Advisor for the Schreyer’s Honors College, Penn State. BS in Physics form Penn State in 2009. Masters in Medical Physics from Duke University in 2012. Currently: Working for a start-up company in Houston.
- Casey Robinson, 2009, REU Student, Penn State. Need info.
- Charles Stewart, 2009, REU Student, Penn State. High school teacher in Florida untill 2012. Currently: Program Manager at Datalink Software, a medical software company.
- Ryan Atwater, 2009, REU Student, Penn State. BS in Mathematics from UMBC in August 2012. Masters in Industrial and Applied Mathematics from Towson University in 2015. Currently: Ph.D. student in Applied Mathematics at the New Jersey Institute of Technology.
- Chris Billman, 2010, REU Student, Penn State. BS in Physics with a minor in Mathematics from Penn State in 2011. Currently: Graduate Student, Physics, University of Florida.
- Ryan Maunu, 2010, REU Student, Penn State. BS in Physics from University of Minnesota, Twin Cities, in 2011. Currently: Graduate Student, Ph.D. in Physics at University of Maryland.
- Tyler Maunu, 2011, REU Student, Penn State. BS in Mathematics from University of Minnesota, Twin Cities, in 2013. Currently: Graduate Student, Ph.D. in Mathematics at University of Minnesota.
- Diego Balam Carrasco Lefranc, 2012, REU Student, Penn State. Expected Engineering in Physics Degree from Universidad Iberoamericana, Mexico D.F., Mexico in 2013.
- Robert Weldon Jr., 2012, REU Student, Penn State.
- John Groh, 2011, REU Student Penn State.
- Michael O’Boyle, 2013, REU Student, Penn State. Physics Major at SUNY Geneseo.
- Nicholas Roman, 2013, REU Student from Penn State.
- Eric Stopper. Undergraduate research, February 2016 to May 2017. REU from Penn State, Summer 2016.
- Alex Sredenscheck, 2017, REU from Messiah College, class of 2019.
- Patrick Thornton. (Penn State, class of 2017) Undergraduate research from the Fall of 2014 to Fall of 2017. Project: Quantum Capacitance in Graphene Devices.
Currently at Corning, Inc.
- Prof. Armando Reyes Serrato, July 2011 to August 2012 on sabbatical leave from Departamento de Física Teórica, Centro de Nanociencias y Nanotecnología, Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México, Ensenada, Baja California, México.
- Xiaohua Liu, October 2012 to December 2012 working on thermoelectric materials. Graduate Student of Materials Science and Engineering, Zhejiang University, Hangzhou, China.
- Prof. Carlos A. Balseiro, March 25th to March 29th, 2013. From Centro Atómico Bariloche, Argentina.
- Prof. Jorge E. Hirsch, December 10th to December 13th, 2013. From University of California at San Diego, USA.
- Prof. Claudia Draxl, March 24th to March 26th, 2014. From Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin.
- Prof. Carlos A. Balseiro, September 6th to September 30th, 2014. From Centro Atómico Bariloche, Argentina.
- Prof. Suklyun Hong, June 28th to July 2nd, 2015. From Department of Physics, Sejong University, Seoul, Korea.
- Dr. Rafael Gonzales Valdez, October 2015. From Departamento de Física, Universidad de Chile, Santiago de Chile, Chile.
- Prof. Francisco Muñoz, January 18th to February 10th, 2016. From Departamento de Física, Universidad de Chile, Santiago de Chile, Chile.
- Ms. Andrea Leon, September 20th to December 4th, 2016. Form Departmento de Física, Universidad Técnica Federico Santa María, Valparaiso, Chile.
- Prof. Rafael Gonzales Valdez, July 2017 from Universidad Mayor, Santiago, Chile.
- Dr. Santiago Rigamonti, Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin, Berlin, Germany. August 2017. CAMP Seminar.
- Ms. Maria Troppenz, Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin, Berlin, Germany. August 2017. CAMP Seminar.