Introduction: So Crazy, It Could Be Criminal!

Welcome, fellow passion bloggers/readers! If you got the chance to read my RCL post from this week, you would have read a statement a little out of the ordinary.

“When I was 9-years-old, I witnessed a man get stabbed right before my eyes.”

WHAT??!!

To any sane person, this sentence seems to be very alarming, so let me just elaborate on what really happened that day.

It was the fall of my 4th grade year, and my brothers and I were pulling into the parking lot of a nearby high school to pick up a car that we had left there the night before. As we pulled in, I heard the blasting of a car horn and many words being yelled that I do not feel are appropriate to include here.

“Hide underneath the seat, Sophia! DO NOT come out until I tell you to,” directed my brother.

Of course, being the curious 9-year-old that I was, I just had to peer out of the window to see what was going on. I was absolutely flabbergasted as I looked out to see a man holding a literal kitchen knife—like the one your mother would use to cut up vegetables—penetrating the abdomen of another man. Obviously, I was absolutely aghast and tried with all my might to block out the reality of the situation while my brother called 911.

I walked away from that encounter with thousands of questions as to why that man was doing what he was doing. The man’s name was Jerry. The police never revealed to us any more information, although I still sometimes try to Google the incident just to see if I can find out anything more. I wanted to learn all I could about Jerry and people similar to him.

One day I came across a story similar to Jerry’s. A man named Mamoru Takuma killed 8 people at a school in Japan with a kitchen knife. No, Jerry did not murder the man he stabbed, but he did use the same weapon, so there was clearly some overlap.

From that point forward, I became mesmerized by any story I heard on the news covering crimes, murder mystery novels, and crime shows. I’m sure all of you have a show that you could watch a thousand times and never get bored of. For me, that show is Criminal Minds.

To give a summary: Criminal Minds is a show that follows the Behavioral Analysis Unit of the FBI, and takes viewers on a 40-minute thrill-ride through the process of catching a killer.

Out of the 254 episodes that CBS has produced of the show, there are hundreds of overlaps and distinct references to some of the world’s most famous serial killers. From Jeffrey Dahmer to Ted Bundy, Jack the Ripper to the Zodiac KillerCriminal Minds covers them all, and I can’t wait to dive deep into the minds of these notorious killers with you all.

So if you’re like me and fascinated by crime and mystery, strap in, this blog will be perfect for you. And if you’re easily spooked or creeped out by topics like this, stay with me. I cannot guarantee you won’t get frightened, but you will surely be entertained.

Stay tuned, catch up on your Criminal Minds, and I will see you all soon.

One thought on “Introduction: So Crazy, It Could Be Criminal!”

1. Hi, Sophia. I like you use your own experiences to seeing a real crime, which happened in front of you when you were 9-year-old, as the opening paragraph, which leads my attention to your passion blog topic about Criminal Minds. After your brief introduction to Criminal Minds, I feel like I’m really fascinated for your future blogs because Criminal Psychology is also one of the majors I was thinking of. As you mentioned in your RCL blog, “the memorable experiences that make us human”, I think you could enter Criminal Psychology field, and relate your knowledge you are going to learn to the episodes that was shown by Criminal Minds. Btw, i just started watching Criminal Minds three weeks ago, and my favorite episode is about Will’s dad, and I can’t never forget the face from that girl who heard the death of Will’s dad.