Building Floorstanding Speaker Part 1

So I’ve been designing this high efficiency (produces high amounts of sound for low power amplifiers) which will comment a 10 watt per channel stereo tube amp I have been constructing.  I chose Eminence’s Ragin Cajun woofer for it’s high efficiency and relatively flat frequency response; this driver is a guitar speaker (which is generally frowned upon by the hi-fi community), but it’s frequency response seemed linear enough.  I am a little worried it may have higher 2nd and 3rd harmonic distortions, but I’ll find that out later.  The tweeter I eventually decided on was the Vifa BC25SC06-04 because of it’s higher efficiency while still maintaining linearity and higher dispersion patterns.

Ragin Cajun Frequency Response
Ragin Cajun Frequency Response
Vifa Frequency Response

Vifa Frequency Response

One may note the bump in the woofer’s frequency response at 1kHz-3kHz; this is probably cone break-up resulting in higher SPL.  I plan on taming this by using a first order low pass cross over at 1kHz, giving me a flat response all the way up to just under 3kHz where it will then fall off rapidly.  This is where the tweeter will pick up.  The woofer also doesn’t go very low, it begins tapering off at 100Hz;  I want it the speaker to maintain a linear frequency response down to about 40Hz (the lowest note on a bass guitar).  This is going to require a very large ported box.  I calculated the volume to be 6.66 (yeah yeah) cubic feet and a port 3.2 inches in diameter and 0.75 inches deep (the thickness of the wood in which I will be constructing it.

Onwards to construction:

Glueing on the back

Glueing on the back

Adding bracing for support

Adding bracing for support

Adding the front

Adding the front

mock up of size

How big it will be, this is just after I cut all the wood to size

This speaker is much larger than I imagined… Also I’m building only one right now to test out how it sounds before building the second.  I’ll keep you guys updated on the construction process!

Tags: ,