Atherton Hall

Located in south campus, right on College Ave is a dorm that housing mostly honors students. This is Atherton Hall. Many call it home their freshman year of college, excited that they get the nicer dorms as an honor for being in the honors college here at Penn State. However, what many might not know about this building is that it is haunted. This hall was made in honor of Francis Atherton in the 1930’s. There have been many reported paranormal activity spotted in this hall but most famously Gumshoes. Gumshoes was a former house mother of the hall, and is now been associated with haunted it. Girls have reported hearing her shoes pacing up and down the halls, but when they peak out of their rooms no one is anywhere to be found. Another is Francis Atherton herself. She has been seen floating around the halls late at night. She is also been known to haunt the Old Botany Building, but we’ll have to save that story for a different time. Next time your in Atherton hall late night studying for an exam, be sure to say hi to Francis Atherton and Gumshoes for me! All I can say is that when you hear the suspicious sounds in the hall at night, i’ll be sleeping comfortably in my bed in the non-haunted Beaver Hall.

This entry was posted in Passion Blog and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to Atherton Hall

1. Monica Sucharski says:

All I can say is thank God I live in Simmons! I had never heard of the haunted house stories about Atherton Hall, but I will definitely keep this is mind if I ever have to run over there late at night to use the computer lab. This is definitely a creative idea for a passion blog, but I’m not sure if I want to read any more if I want to be able to sleep at night…