In order to document notes for an advising appointment, there must be an advising appointment in Starfish.
An appointment needs to be created to use its associated Reasons and SpeedNotes.
Students may use Starfish to schedule their own appointments with you during times you have designated as available. Calendar owners and their designated calendar managers can add appointments to the Starfish calendar without creating online availability to students.
Adding a single appointment to the calendar
- Go to the Appointments page
- Click the Appointment button
This opens the Add Appointment form
- Type the student’s name, PSU ID, or Access ID in to the Student drop down list box.
- Select the desired student from the matches presented by Starfish.
- Specify When the meeting will take place (date, start time, end time).
- Select the location from the options available in the Where drop down list.
- Select a Reason for the meeting.
- NOTE: The available reasons are based on the student’s relationship to you and the appointment types through your role(s).
- If relevant to the meeting, select a Course from the list presented
- Always leave the Shared radio button selected.
- If desired, type a Detailed Description for the meeting that will be visible to the student and anyone else viewing the appointment.
- Click the Submit button to schedule the meeting.
Starfish appointments are grouped into types, and each Appointment type can be added or viewed by users in a particular Role.
Three appointment types are available to academic advisers.
- Advising for assigned advisees: Scheduled appointments or blocks of Walk-in time available to students who are in an Assigned Adviser relationship with the adviser. This appointment type comes from the Assigned Adviser role.
- Advising for any student: Scheduled appointments or blocks of Walk-in time available to students who are in a General Adviser relationship with the adviser. This appointment type comes from the General Adviser role.
- Orientation/NSO: Scheduled appointments or blocks of Walk-in time available to students in a General Adviser relationship with the adviser, for use in the Orientation setting. This appointment type comes from the General Adviser role.
Appointment types are associated with Reasons and SpeedNotes.
- Appointment Reasons are selected at the time the appointment is created, and are viewable in the student’s history of contact.
- SpeedNotes are preconfigured activities that can be checked off to quickly capture commonly recurring meeting outcomes.
NOTE: Advising for assigned advisees and Advising for any student appointment types have the same set of Reasons and SpeedNotes.
NOTE: Orientation/NSO has one reason—Orientation—and a set of SpeedNotes focused on common Orientation topics.
The Adviser Training guide provides additional step by step details for scheduling appointments with students
Review guidelines for what (and what not) to document in Starfish
Learn more about different types of notes in Starfish and their best uses
View an overview of the student folder