If you would like students to be able to schedule their own advising appointments, you need to create online availability. The appointment availability will be visible to all Starfish users, but will only be selectable by students in the appropriate relationship for the appointment type you made available.
Create a block of available appointments
- Go to the Appointments page
- Click the Office Hours button
NOTE: “Office Hours” is the generic Starfish term for any block of time you make available to students. You should give the block of time a more descriptive name (e.g. Advising appointments; Drop-in advising)
This opens the Add Office Hours form
- Enter a Title (name) for this block of time.
NOTE: Students will see this title when viewing your calendar. The weekly view display stops with the first space, and will only display up to 15 characters.
- Select What day(s) you would like to make appointments available to students.
- Indicate any recurrence (e.g. Repeats every 1 week).
- Use the What time fields to enter the start and end time of the appointment block.
- Select Where meetings will be held using the check box(es) next to your location(s).
NOTE: If you choose more than one location, the student will be able to choose his/her preferred location for the meeting (e.g. Office or Phone). You can add more locations by going to your Profile.
- Select the Office Hour Type for meetings that will take place during this block.
- Select Scheduled Appointments Only if you will not take any walk-ins between appointments.
- Select Walk-ins Only to show the time is available, but disallow anyone from making advance appointments.
- Select How long meetings can be by selecting a minimum and maximum duration.
NOTE: If the minimum and maximum duration are identical, the student will not be given a choice about duration. If they are different, students will be able to select their appointment length.
- If your role has permissions for more than one Appointment Type, check the appointment type(s) that apply to this block of time.
- Select Advising for assigned advisees if you want to only allow your assigned advisees to make online appointments during this time.
- Select Advising for any student if you want to allow any student to make online appointments during this time.
- Use the Instructions box to enter instructions to students who are attempting to schedule with you during this block of time.
NOTE: Use this area to indicate which students are able to select this appointment (e.g. For my assigned advisees only). Simple html formatting can be used here (e.g. <b>For my assigned advisees only</b> will format this text in bold)
- Click the Start/End Date tab to set a time frame for a repeating office hour block.
- Click the Submit
Once Submitted, the calendar owner’s weekly view shows blocks of time available.
The calendar owner or calendar manager can add a student appointment to a block by clicking the Add icon in the calendar. This opens the Add Appointment form, with the date and time pre-filled.
Student view of appointment availability
Students can find appointment calendars for advisers through their student Success Network, or by navigating to an adviser associated with a Service. Instructions for student users are in the Students section of this site.
Students will ONLY see calendar details for their own appointment. Students see “Sign Up,” “Time has already passed,” and “Time slot taken” for all other calendar items.