Filters allow you to find students who meet particular criteria. The Starfish filter is an AND filter, so will only show you students that meet ALL of the criteria you select.
If you are filtering a large group, or if the system is busy, you might encounter an error message. This issue has been reported to Starfish support and they are seeking a solution. Try beginning your filter with the smallest group of students possible and narrow from there by adding additional criteria.
Once a filter is applied, it remains in place until you choose to clear it, even if you log out of Starfish.
Any category of information on the Overview tab of a student’s folder is available as a filterable category. Any of the values you see for a category can be used as the filtered value. Wild cards (* symbol) can be used in string values. A complete list of filterable values will be posted here in the future.
Example Filter: Find students in Academic Warning
- Go to the Students tab
- Choose your connection.
- If you are looking for your assigned advisees who are in academic warning status, choose Assigned Adviser in the Connection pull down menu.
- If you are looking for all students enrolled in a particular program, choose General Adviser
- Choose a cohort, if relevant.
- If you are looking for all students on academic warning at a particular campus, choose that campus from the Cohort pull down menu
- Click the Filter button
- Click the Attributes tab
- Click Add Attribute
- Choose Academic Standing from the pull down menu
- Under Values, select Specific Value and type in Warning 1. This entry is not case sensitive, but all of the characters (including spaces) matter.
- If you need to limit this to students enrolled in a specific program, add another attribute.
- Select Major (Plan) and enter the Specific Value for the plan you are searching.
- If you are not sure what this plan was named in Starfish, look at the Overview tab for a student who is enrolled in this program and enter this text string exactly. Note: if you copy and paste from the Overview tab, delete the leading space in the text string.
The video below was created for another institution, but gives an overview of the steps above.