Natalia’s Experience in Palma de Mallorca, Spain

Natalia Tyndall

Natalia studied in Spain on the CIEE Palma de Mallorca, Language and Culture Program during Summer 2015.

If you could give only one reason, why would you suggest other students study abroad?

Travelling is a necessity. It’s really easy to get used to your same old routines that you have at home but it’s important to know how other cultures live as well. Not only do you get to experience another country’s differences but you will also find the similarities between yourself and students like you as well. Through my program I was able to travel to England and Germany; something I never imagined I would do. It’s only made me want to work that much harder to travel more because other parts of the world are so beautiful and just waiting to be explored.

What was it about your program specifically that fit your personal goals over other programs?

I really wanted to use my time abroad to become more of an independent person and I’m happy that I accomplished that goal. Mallorca is a place that you can really slow down and lose yourself in the culture, the environment, and just the way of life. I knew that I didn’t want to go to a fast-paced city and the island of Mallorca perfectly fit what I was looking for. There’s really something for everyone; whether it’s the city of Palma, the mountains, the beach, it’s an amazing place.

What advice would you give to outbound study abroad students to help them make the most of their study abroad experiences?

Definitely get out of your comfort zone. You’ll feel weird at first being in a new place but remember to take in everything that your site has to offer. There will be times when you’ll feel out of place, or homesick, but just keep in mind what a great opportunity you have and that getting the option to study abroad is something that many people don’t get to experience.

Natalia Spain 2
CIEE Cooking Class in Palma de Mallorca, Spain