Ashley’s Experience in Florence, Italy

Ashley Woller

Ashley studied in Italy on the Florence: International Studies Institute (ISI) at Palazzo program during Spring 2015.

If you could give only one reason, why would you suggest other students study abroad?

I would suggest other students to study abroad because it’s the one chance you may ever have in your lifetime to travel to as many countries as possible.  Never would I have thought I would end up going to 12 unbelievable countries, and 23 cities.  I have always loved going on adventures and dreamed of traveling the world and studying abroad gave me that opportunity.  I was able to learn about each countries culture, people, landmarks, and overall beauty.

What specific factors influenced your decision to go abroad?

Growing up, my mom would tell me about her experience studying abroad in Florence, Italy.  I knew that I had a heart for traveling and would one day make it there too.  In high school, I had the opportunity to get a taste of Italy on a spring break trip and I had the opportunity to go to Florence.  I immediately fell in love with the city.  I knew I would end up at Florence again one day, but I did not know when I would get that chance.  Studying abroad gave me the opportunity to go back to the city that I fell in love with and still in love with now that I am home.

What advice would you give to outbound study abroad students to help them make the most of their study abroad experiences?

A piece of advice I would give to outbound study abroad students in order to make the most of their abroad experiences is to take risks and be independent.  One thing I learned while being abroad is that you cannot rely on other people all the time, and it’s your chance to go out and explore the world.  Being abroad is the one time where you can be ‘selfish’ and do the things you want to do, and go to the places you want to see.  There was a weekend I took to myself and saw Cinque Terre and Rome.  I decided to go on a tour for Cinque Terre and it was the best decision I have ever made because I met so many new people.  When I went to Rome, I used The Big Red Bus to get around the city.  I was able to go to all of the landmarks I wanted to see, capture awesome photos, and explore the city how I wanted.  I think exploring these places on my own gave me a better appreciation for the world around me.

Ashley Florence 2
View of Florence, Italy