Katie’s Experience in Beijing, China

Katie Corridoni

Katie traveled to China on the Beiging, China: Impact of Culture on Engineering Program during the Summer of 2015.

Katie in front of the Great Wall of China

What specific factors influenced your decision to go abroad?

Growing up in a small town in rural Pennsylvania kept me relatively sheltered from foreign cultures. Due to my curiosity, studying abroad was always something on my bucket list, but I wasn’t sure if my demanding schedule as an engineer would enable me to do so. I was interested in learning about other cultures, so I enrolled in a first year seminar class about engineering projects in China. I was learning a lot in the class, and I soon found out that my professor taught a similar course in China during the summer. Going to China would allow me to investigate these engineering projects with my own eyes, and would easily fit into my schedule. Although I was nervous to take my first flight halfway across the world, I’m so glad I decided to spend a month in China.

If you could give only one reason, why would you suggest other students study abroad?

Studying abroad is a learning experience in every way possible. Being up close and personal to things you have heard about teaches you so much more than you could ever learn from a classroom setting. Hiking The Great Wall and sailing through a ship-lock on the Yangtze River allowed me to experience and appreciate the magnitude of these engineering projects rather than just being lectured about them. Studying abroad also teaches you a lot about a culture and its people. From the food I ate to the hospitality I received, I was really able to immerse myself in such a diverse culture. Now, I find myself more willing as a student to collaborate and work with people of different cultures. I could have always gone to China when I got older, but I would have never been able to travel to so many places and learn so much about a culture in such a short period of time.

Katie China 1

What advice would you give to outbound study abroad students to help them make the most of their study abroad experiences?

Try new things. When you’re in a foreign environment, it’s natural to gravitate toward what is familiar (and I will admit eating Pizza Hut for dinner a few times). However, some of my favorite Chinese food came from small, family owned eateries within the streets. I would have never been able to experience these unique and vastly developed flavors if I stayed within my palette’s comfort zone. Additionally, do not get discouraged by a language barrier. Even though communicating can be like a game of charades, the locals are happy to have you, and appreciate that you are interested in learning about their culture. Be open minded, and embrace the new experiences that the country has to offer.