Thana’s Experience in London, England

Thana Annan

Thana studied in England on the West London, United Kingdom: Kinesiology, Youth Sport and Athletic Welfare program during Summer 2015.

What specific factors influenced your decision to go abroad?

To me studying abroad was likely to be much unlike what one is used to doing as a student. I was going to become familiar with an entirely new academic system and have the chance to take courses not offered back home. It was also a great opportunity to break out the monotony of the routine I follow semester after semester. Did you know that only 4% of U.S. undergraduates ever study abroad? I also saw it as an opportunity to put it on my resume. Through an employer’s eyes, a student who has studied abroad is self-motivated, independent, willing to embrace challenges, and able to cope with diverse problems and situations. Experiencing living and studying in a foreign country, negotiating another culture, and acquiring another language will all set you apart from the majority of other job applicants.

What advice would you give to outbound study abroad students to help them make the most of their study abroad experiences?

Being immersed in an entirely new cultural setting is super scary at first, but it’s also exciting. Pack sensibly, keep a budget and plan ahead (inform you bank of the various countries you’ll be in!) if you plan on taking other trips while studying. Do not exchange money at the airport, you can exchange money at banks, railroad stations, some tourist information offices and travel agencies, and at American Express offices. Don’t forget to HAVE FUN because you’re going to return no more intimidated by traveling and also have enough epic TBTs to last you a lifetime!!!!!!

Thana London 2
Group of students and professor in traditional form British attire, London, England